What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Locking fuel cap adhesive

This picture is my locking fuel caps from the Vans web store. https://store.vansaircraft.com/locking-fuel-cap-fuel-cap-retro.html
I installed them around nine months ago and am very happy with them on my RV-7A quick build wings. I followed the directions and used the adhesive that Vans recommended. Everything was great until yesterday when I noticed one of the caps sitting proud of the wing surface. It turns out neither of them were solidly attached to the flange of the tank anymore. I took very little pressure to remove the retro fit cap from the tank flange. The adhesive is fully cured and not gummy. No adhesive was left behind on the tank and all of it is attached to the retrofit fuel caps.
My questions are: have any of you had a similar experience? What adhesive would you recommend to attach the retrofit caps to the tank flange?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 213
I have installed several of these caps for myself and others over the years. I have always scuffed the flanges with Scotchbrite pads, degreased and the used tank sealant to install. Never had a problem

sealant

I use fuel sealant - on all my RVs. Never had an issue.

Clean scuffed surface. Something happened there with bonding.

No adhesive was left behind on the tank and all of it is attached to the retrofit fuel caps.
My questions are: have any of you had a similar experience?

Thanks for any advice.

I have a good bit of experience with adhesives, though very limited exp with proseal. That said, that is a clear sign of poor adhesion to the substrate. Given that the adhesive was fully cured and is designed to adhere to metals, including aluminum, it is a clear sign of poor surface prep. Suggest doing some research on prepping surfaces for adhesive to prevent this in the future.

Larry

I’ll add to the above lack of prep issue, when I install I coat the entire surface of both pieces then install, looks to me like you didn’t apply enough sealant on the insert (890-B1/2 works good for this).

Back