What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lock the Canopy & Placement of Zaon XRX?

JerryG150

Well Known Member
I'm sure someone has already figured out how to lock the RV-12 canopy ... so how's is it done? Thanks

Also where would an RV-12 owner place the Zaon XRX? Thanks

My RV-12 is currently at Hawk Aircraft Painting located at the Tampa Executive Airport ... pictures of the painting process are on my build web site listed below in my signature for those who might be interested.

The Zaon is similar in configuration to the Monroy. I just finished fabricating a new right side instrument panel. I will be installing the Monroy in the upper left corner of my new panel.

Jerry, I saw your 'paint post' over on the Sport Pilot forum; congrats on making it to the paint shop!

FYI the RV-9A I recently flew in had Zaon's small (as in 'tiny') MRX unit mounted on top of the glareshield at just about the centerline. I found that to be a very functional location (including when we serendipitously were able to find the SH-60B near us that was being flown by my son).

Jack

I think the XRX location kind of depends if you're going to primarily use its own display or send the data to the Garmin or the Dynon (not sure if the Dynon will take it, actually).

If you're going to use its own display, put it on the coaming above the panel. I have a spot of Velcro on my coaming cover for it.

I think that either way, its installation manual will describe what's needed.

Its display is sufficiently small and dense so that I need a good look at it to figure out what it's saying.

Used it today, in fact, and it spotted the plane that I hadn't seen in the ground clutter. Handy little gadget.

Dave

Jerry, If I remember correctly, I think that Dick Seiders has an XRX mounted in the center panel where the 496 would be with the hump protruding through the top cover. Probably been 6-9 months since I saw the photo and it may not have even been Dick

This is not exactly what was requested, but I want to contribute anyway. I don't lock the canopy so that someone who really wants to get in badly won't break it.
Regarding the XRX I don't think it would be an easy fit in any airplane. Sitting it on the glareshield is pretty much the location of choice. I considered one for my RV6A but gave up on how to make it look like it belonged in the airplane. I bought an MRX instead, and put it on the glareshield as well, but you could still see out the windshield. When I finished the RV12 I installed the MRX in the panel below the intercom. Just had to buy a mounting bracket, and a longer antenna lead both of which are listed in the acessories for Zaon gear. You can do away with the battery nusciance by wiring it into the 12v system and stick a small brkr right alongside. Nice little unit. Works fine, (as long as the other fliers have their tpx on) is a lot cheaper, and looks like it belongs in the panel.
Dick Seiders 120093

Photo of MRX in RV-12

Dick sent a cell phone shot of his MRX installation. He has it mounted below the intercom and looks like it belongs in the panel.

i-djbW5V5-L.jpg

Tony

Thanks ...

Thanks to all who replied. I got some great information from all of you. At this point in my RV build, I have to say I'm a "minimalist" ... the least amount of additional building the better.

The lock ideas in the "modification" posts were super ... pictures and all. But I have to admit ... no lock and let 'em take what they want and not break the canopy is a pretty good idea ... at least until I'm robbed ... guess I'll carry valuables with me (headsets, flightbag, etc. ... could get a backpack flightbag)

If I had a panel dashboard I would just place the Zaon XRX up there and plug it into the cigarette lighter for power. But alas ... no dashboard on the RV-12 ... too bad. Maybe a 2" strip of velcro on the panel would do the trick.

and maybe I'm not a "minimalist" but I'm just plain lazy ... that's OK too.

Post Script

Jerry, locking the canopy is location-specific. I never lock mine in the hangar where a nocturnal radio thief could use a handy sledge hammer to access the panel. I do lock it when parked on the ramp at other airports where opportunistic headset collectors roam. Even with the cover on.

I do not have the model TCAS device you have but my Monroy is perched very visibly right under the autopilot switch. Velcro on panel bottom sheet. It's upside down but the lights are very readable. A radio shop made me a coax cable ($12) to the antenna which is mounted, tip-down, on the roll bar. Excellent reception...better than glare shield mount on my 6A.

Like you, I believe minimal is better. But I don't want to fly back from the East Texas VFD Fish Fry and Fly-in without my Zulus.

Jim
flyin' since 12/10

Last edited:
Zaon XRX RV-12 Connections

I'd like to connect the XRX to my panel mount 496. Considering that the 496 already has voice and power slots used, how to connect the XRX in the typical -12 panel? Since the XRX antenna is integral to the unit, it requires a "clear view" of the sky to pick up other transponders signals. Thus, I propose to place it on top of the carpet-covered fuel tank. Power cord will just go to the cig outlet. Any ideas or schematics?

canopy lock

Hi I mounted a small piece of aluminium angle next to the canopy lock handle and drilled a hole through both I then can lock it with a small padlock

Canopy Lock

Just a thought.

I believe in simple, although I do believe in an RV canopy lock.

Reason:
I have Never heard an airplane owner claim of someone breaking a locked canopy to steal an item.

I HAVE heard airplane owners claim they had things stolen out of their aircraft when their canopy was not locked.

Loss of anything on a trip would be frustrating.

Lock and MRX (not XRX)

One RV7A report:

Lock: I do not have a lock for canopy. Never had any mischief. Put my trust in 18 USC 32, making it a federal crime to damage, disable, or destroy a plane. (Definitely would report to law enforcement if I had any molestation, and like to see those warning signs posted at airports.) I follow minimal best practices: record avionics serial numbers and keep a canopy cover in place if you leave airplane overnight or at unattended airport.

MRX: Mine is installed in the panel, using factory panel mount fixture, very similar to Dick's, though I located it low and to right of center of pilot instrumentation. I actually think the MRX worked better when used as a portable, simply on a velcro dot on top of the glareshield. In the installed mode, my MRX seems to pick up ghost targets at surface level when I am at/below 1,200 feet. E.g., when in traffic pattern, it reports "traffic" at -800 or -1000 below me, which I simply disregard. Seldom at my current rural airport home base where there is no radar signal whatsoever below 3,000 AGL, but still happens so I think it is ground signals (radar detectors? microwaves? confusing comm radio or VOR signals?). More often in moderate or highly populated areas airport areas. All other functions seem reliable.

That said, I really like having the MRX for basic "alerter" function when enroute/arrivals, and looking forward to a "some day" upgrade to ADS-B/FIS-B information. But, since I had no performance improvement, and this one low altitude problem, from installing it in the panel, I would not do a permanent installation again.

Mike, my MRX reports traffic when I am taxieing and have aircraft in pattern as well as when I am in pattern and aircraft are taxieing at the airport. Never had any ghost signals. Biggest problem is the thing often dosen't report when I see aircraft nearby. Don't know if they don't have tpx turned on or if MRX is sleeping. That issue occasionally happened when it was on the glareshield as well.
Dick Seiders

ghosts

Hi Dick: Thanks for the ideas. I seem to get the false positives (ghost hits) even when no aircraft are operating here. The error occurs only when I'm near the ground. Its a quiet airport, so not at all uncommon to have no other traffic moving, ground or air, for an entire flight.

My MRX misses some live traffic as well, but not too often that I notice. I mounted the external antenna on the left side of the aircraft belly, about 3 inches behind the leading edge junction with the fuselage. The relative distance reported seems remarkably accurate most of the time (MRX compared to ATC callouts).

I'm not sure if the ghost reporting is becoming more frequent, but I could afford to do an antenna connection check and the recalibration exercise. I wonder if it is reporting my own transponder. I think that can happen if calibration is off. But, I think that would happen at all altitudes, not just near the ground (e.g. <1,500 agl).

Mike

Mike, with the antenna mounted on the belly there could be interference from yout tpx, but as you said that would occur at alt. as well. I mounted my MRX antenna in the cockpit alongside the rt side rear window in the 12.
Dick Seiders

Back