What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lock on door handle

I have a lock just like the baggage door, it is mounted so that the movable arm keeps the lower rack from moving when in the locked position. The rack simply runs into the lock arm.

For the other side, I lock from the inside with a piece of piano hinge wire, bent to look similar to a fire extinguisher pin.

I drilled a hole in the end of the inner door handle where the "push to open" tab is, goes all the way through the arm housing and the tab. Insert the pin after the copilot gets out, and lock the pilot side from the outside.

I did the same as Mike but instead of a pin in the passenger door handle. I drilled to fit a cotter pin then threaded the cotter pin on one of these small key chains.
_58.jpg

I'm too cheap for a cotter pin! I have a painted-red piece of L-shaped wood which I wedge in the same location as the above posts, to keep the push to open part from moving.
During phase 1 I had two of these, one for each door. I was prepared to climb out the baggage door if needed! Now I have two telescoping pieces of tubing, one with a slot. The piece with the slot slips over the outside handle; the other telescoping piece goes on from the front, and a padlock locks them together thru a pair of thru holes. The whole gizmo blocks access to the push to open feature.
It's aluminum so it's just an inconvenience to real thieves, but keeps out the kids.

Last edited:
Mike with the photos you sent, I understand your narrative. I don't see that in the plans, but it looks intuitive enough I think I will give it a try.

I have a lock just like the baggage door, it is mounted so that the movable arm keeps the lower rack from moving when in the locked position. The rack simply runs into the lock arm.

For the other side, I lock from the inside with a piece of piano hinge wire, bent to look similar to a fire extinguisher pin.

I drilled a hole in the end of the inner door handle where the "push to open" tab is, goes all the way through the arm housing and the tab. Insert the pin after the copilot gets out, and lock the pilot side from the outside.

I've looked at and thought about locks. Decided its easiest and safest to just pop the door handles off and set them inside the baggage door. Then nobody can torque your handle off.

Maybe a bit extreme but I have purchased and after market car lock kit with actuators, receiver and two transmitters. Made two brackets that takes the actuators and fitted those below the door in the fuse sides.

Now I have a nice remote lock like on a car :)

By the way - I have tried the normal locks that you get with the mag switch on the door racks, like Mike S has done but found that if you use a lot of force (like a thief or someone who does not know how to open it ) it will jam the lock. Happened to me.

Back