What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lock for Doors

sgjackson

I am helping some guys build an RV10 and we have touched on the topic of locking the doors. I have looked at the options and there is a very simple way to install key locks in the doors that would not interfear with normal operation. If anyone is interested, let me know.

locks

I am helping some guys build an RV10 and we have touched on the topic of locking the doors. I have looked at the options and there is a very simple way to install key locks in the doors that would not interfear with normal operation. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Do tell please:)

RV-10 Locks

I thought about putting together a complete package to include the locks or at least full instructions and offer it for sale real cheap, but it is so simple. I will work on writing the instructions so I can post it or send out via e-mail. If anyone would like to send an e-mail of interest to [email protected] I will send some basic instruction within a few days and then we can deal with any questions after that.

Here is my design. Details regarding lock part number and installation are in my finish kit construction log. This photo is of the door in the unlocked and latch open position. When latched, the gear rack is out of the way and the lock comes down to block its movement.

PB080004.jpg

Mike , I looked at your method but felt even a unknowing passenger could bend the locking mechanism by applying a little strong force thinking it's just binding. I went with the same type lock but straight out from the rack. It's far enough from the extended rack that the rack does not touch the lock but with the rack retracted (door closed) the lock arm swings in front of the rack. This way a large force will not bend the arm ( it's straight on rather than at a 90 degree angle from the rack). The lock will have to be forced to rip thru the composite (I beefed that area up) to break in and at that point if someone wants in they will find another way.
Ron

I did add a 0.060 reinforcement plate with a 90 degree lip. The lip presses against the nylon which holds the rack and gear. When the rack operates against the lock, it's turning is resisted by the plate against the nylon.

I do see your point though, and considered mounting the lock as you describe but I don't remember why I didn't choose that way.

Mike

Mike and Ron, thanks for your good inputs. I will recommend to the guys that asked for my plans to review you inputs. My gears are still spinning and I have a few more variations but your inputs are great.
Thanks, Scott

Mike , I looked at your method but felt even a unknowing passenger could bend the locking mechanism by applying a little strong force thinking it's just binding. I went with the same type lock but straight out from the rack. It's far enough from the extended rack that the rack does not touch the lock but with the rack retracted (door closed) the lock arm swings in front of the rack. This way a large force will not bend the arm ( it's straight on rather than at a 90 degree angle from the rack). The lock will have to be forced to rip thru the composite (I beefed that area up) to break in and at that point if someone wants in they will find another way.
Ron

Ron Mike, sorry but I cant visualize your words where the lock needs to go without bending the lock mechanism, can you maybe edit and draw on the existing photo to show what you mean...Thanks Rudi

I just saw the picture and can tell you guys that I have done the lock exactly the same way.

What happend is that I have already installed these locks (or rather similar locks that you can get at most HW stores) right in the bottom center of both doors, with a slot in the bottom "sill" for the tongue to go into.

Then came the extra latch SB. I have installed the latch as per the SB with one difference - I have made a CAD drawing and got the actual latch machined and anodized.

This left me with two problems - 1) A round hole to cover up where the lock has been - solved by riveting a small rectangular plate onto the door panel. 2) Had to find a new place for the lock - did it the same way as shown by azcloudflyer - very simple.

I do not think a passenger will damage it - remember that the AC will be locked from the outside and will normally be unlocked by the pilot/owner during preflight. when the passenger wants to exit the lock will be as shown in the open position. Most of these locks will stay in the position where they were when you pull out the key.

What can happen however is that someone who wants to open the door can "force" the lock and rotate the lock's body in the door. I still need to make plan like installing a plate to beef up or to bond the loock into place.

Last edited:
Back