What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Location of wing electrical stuff

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Good Morning to all.
This has been a 10 year project and we are closer than ever. I'm in the process of putting the lower skins on and would like some input on the location of certain components so wiring can be competed.

Most components are really simple. IE. nav/strobes, landing lights, outboard occillating vans lights, heated pitot. There locations are all set.

The questions:
1.The Garmin aileron servo. Should it be located in the left or right wing.Does it matter?
2. The Garmin remote compass. Left or right wing or in the tail? My concern with the tail is that the trim cables are magnetic and may be cause for concern.
3. Is balancing the weight between wing a concern?

Thanks in advance for your valued input!

I have my roll servo (TruTrak) in the right wing (but I don't recall if the bracket was designed to be reversible for a left wing install) and my aileron trim is in the left. FWIW, a lot of us have our magnetometers in the tailcone without issue.

I decided to put the aileron servo in the left wing closer to the aileron trim, and to save some wiring, but that required using a trutrak mounting bracket, not to mention mentally mirror imaging the Garmin install instructions, but it works fine. My magnetometer is also in the tailcone. I don't think the weight/balance is an issue - my left main was heavier than the right (don't have the numbers with me, but in the neighborhood of 20-30 lbs) - the servo is only a small part of that. Most W&B numbers I've seen here for the 10 show a little more weight on the left. Plane still flies straight, even solo (more weight on the left).

==dave==

1: I've got the Garmin Servo in the right wing. The mounting brackets that are made for the servo work great there.

2: I have the magnetometer mounted in the tail, on the top of the bulkhead directly behind the battery. I used the bracket from SteinAir. No issues at all with interference from the stock seat belt cables. I was also thinking about mounting it in the wingtip, but I was more worried about the strobes/navs/landing lights out there and how they might interfere. In the end, I'm happy with my placement choice.

Thanks for the response. I have the same concerns with the wing tip. Do you have a photo of the bracket Stein has for mount? Can I fabricate it?

I have always put the magnetometers in the tailcone. The right wing is most standard for the AP servo because it helps "balance when only a pilot is in the plane. Remember, a 5lb weight 8' outboard of the main wheel is going to add around 10lbs to the right and take 10lbs off the left main, which is a difference of 20 lbs. I often see 30 lbs of different between the mains. A slightly I level floor or a slightly lower tire and make that much difference. The mains to the nose is the most important for CG location.

A "heavy" wing is probably much more often a rigging or twisted control surface issue much more than an actual weight difference.

Back