What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Locally made fuel lines a bad idea?

riobison

Well Known Member
I'm going to add a new flowscan transducer to my Dynon D180. So this is a good time to changes out all of my fuel lines as they are 12 yrs old or so on my Carb O320.

As Im in Red Deer AB Canada and having to contend with the Cdn Peso, International shipping and outrageous brokerage fees by some of the couriers I was thinking of getting my hoses built locally.

We have some really good hose shops that manufacture lots of high pressure hoses for our oil field here and I'm thinking of going this way. They are all pressure tested and can come with a serial number and certs (oil field) if needed.

I'm considering going with the fire sleeved teflon lined hoses with stainless steel JIC fittings.

But, they are JIC fitting and not AN. The information out there seems to point that these connections are now all the same with a 37 deg bevel and interchange. Of course other information says that is not the case.

Any serious cons going this way?

Thanks
Tim

I'm going to add a new flowscan transducer to my Dynon D180. So this is a good time to changes out all of my fuel lines as they are 12 yrs old or so on my Carb O320.

As Im in Red Deer AB Canada and having to contend with the Cdn Peso, International shipping and outrageous brokerage fees by some of the couriers I was thinking of getting my hoses built locally.

We have some really good hose shops that manufacture lots of high pressure hoses for our oil field here and I'm thinking of going this way. They are all pressure tested and can come with a serial number and certs (oil field) if needed.

I'm considering going with the fire sleeved teflon lined hoses with stainless steel JIC fittings.

But, they are JIC fitting and not AN. The information out there seems to point that these connections are now all the same with a 37 deg bevel and interchange. Of course other information says that is not the case.

Thanks
Tim
As long as you can confirm that what you get is actually 37 degree, it sounds like a good plan to me.

In addition to the 37-degree flare fittings (some hydraulics use 45-degree flares) you also should be sure that you get aircraft teflon hose. The teflon liner is made with a fine carbon filament web that dissipates static electric charge. Any fluid hose you use on an airplane (except I suppose brake line hose) needs to have this. Lots of automotive-grade teflon hose does not have it - I think because it is predominantly used as brake line. No significant flow of fluid to generate static charge.

Tim---be advised that most industrial hose shops dont carry conductive teflon hose. DEFINITELY need it for fuels. JIC hose ends are perfectly fine, we really dont need class 3 threads on experimentals, although we have them on ours.
Tom

Just make sure you specify the conductive hose. Also be advised that 'some' shops may not like to make assemblies for aircraft.
Tom

Just make sure you specify the conductive hose. Also be advised that 'some' shops may not like to make assemblies for aircraft.
Tom
Yes, the link is above there with the part number. It's all good. Being oil field and people working 24/7 in close proximity to high pressures, H2S etc these guys aren't worried about airplanes. They are use to working with bureaucracy in an over regulated oil field and were very inquisitive about what I'm doing and now they all want a ride.:)

Thanks
Tim

It's a miracle that the thousands of Pipers built with automotive hoses didn't explode. Decades before teflon was even heard of.
Isn't that the truth. But, it might have something to do with the teflon itself being capable of generating more of a spark.

The question is and maybe someone out there might know, are we even pumping enough volume to have enough flow that there is even a problem in our aircraft?

Can we even test the hose after to ensure that its conducting properly?

I know lots of the muscle cars flowing a lot more fuel then we do and they don't run the conductive hose and they aren't blowing them selves up. I'll run it as its recommended but is this another example of overkill?

Thanks
Tim

Why not buy your own mandrels and make your own conductive 303 hoses? As long a you follow the instructions, use lube, start the threads with pressure from an arbor press and blow test them both directions you will be good to go. And have more tools at your disposal.

I
Isn't that the truth. But, it might have something to do with the teflon itself being capable of generating more of a spark.

The question is and maybe someone out there might know, are we even pumping enough volume to have enough flow that there is even a problem in our aircraft?

Can we even test the hose after to ensure that its conducting properly?

I know lots of the muscle cars flowing a lot more fuel then we do and they don't run the conductive hose and they aren't blowing them selves up. I'll run it as its recommended but is this another example of overkill?

Thanks
Tim
don't know. We don't ground our cars when we fuel them either.

I

don't know. We don't ground our cars when we fuel them either.
Maybe this is the reason..... And it doesn't look like the volume of flow through our 3/8 teflon lines are an issue.
I would like to see proof of 32 oz of fuel (max) passing through a teflon fuel hose over a period of one minute and
creating any static charge. The carbon doubles the cost of the hose..... Is it really needed for our fuel flow?

Static when fueling.JPG

It's a miracle that the thousands of Pipers built with automotive hoses didn't explode. Decades before teflon was even heard of.
Should wait for Tom to weight in but I’ll run my mouth anyway. Static discharge in a fuel line (or any other process fluid) was never a real safety hazard. Got to additionally have oxidizer to make things exciting. I thought the conductivity of the liner eliminated the spark erosion associated with the discharge -> helped get rid of the calendar life limit on the hoses. If TSFs Tom doesn’t set me straight here soon, I’ll email him and ask for a response here.

Should wait for Tom to weight in but I’ll run my mouth anyway. Static discharge in a fuel line (or any other process fluid) was never a real safety hazard. Got to additionally have oxidizer to make things exciting. I thought the conductivity of the liner eliminated the spark erosion associated with the discharge -> helped get rid of the calendar life limit on the hoses. If TSFs Tom doesn’t set me straight here soon, I’ll email him and ask for a response here.
First off----303 hose (H8794) is a rubber lined hose. Rubber is an insulator, and keeps whatver possible static discharge away from the braid. 303 has a nylon braid, under a steel braid, under a cotton cover, so its naturally insulated. Teflon, in its natural form is great for flowing fluids, but doesnt insulate against static. Early teflon hoses used in aircraft would leak, due to the static electricity pinpricking the liner, and conducting to the stainless braid. Looked like the sprinkler hoses we had as kids---well some of us anyway. So engineers added carbon to the resin mix when making the teflon liners, so the static would have a path to the hose ends instead of to the stainless braid. All aviation spec teflon hose that moves fluid are carbon lined, or conductive. YES, the flow volumes we have may or may not produce enough static electricity to create an issue,, but I dont want to find out at 10,000 feet.
Cars and industrial equipment are on the ground, so 'grounded', and they can typically use a non conductive liner. As Jim said, you can buy the mandrels and make your own 303 assemblies. You can even make your own 701 style assemblies without mandrels. You can even make your own teflon assemblies with field installed hose ends. Just make sure you use a conductive black liner hose. Most industrial shops dont stock conductive teflon, but the larger ones do. Hope that helps.

Tom

I agree, we dont want to find out at 10,000 ft or worse, during take off.
Page 190 of the link or as attached

Attachments

• New-Line Catalog PTFE.pdf
    318.6 KB · Views: 119
Aren't our fuel lines grounded at both ends? Where is the potential static charge being built up?

Yes, adding an oxidizer makes it interesting. We had an incident at our gliderport, where a group had made up our oxygen filling cart with automotive stainless braided teflon lines. The system had been in service for many years. And then one day, while a friend of mine was filling his glider with oxygen, BOOM! the line exploded. A static discharge inside the line made an instant fire with teflon as the fuel and oxygen as the oxydizer. About 12 inches of hose was missing and my friend's backside was filled with many many fine stainless steel wire splinters. There were some bigger chunks of the braid around, but no teflon bits. At first it was just assumed to be a pressure failure - it took a while for us to understand that it was actually a static discharge and combustion.

Aren't our fuel lines grounded at both ends? Where is the potential static charge being built up?
true, but as fuel flows the static electricity can attempt to take a shortcut and seek a ground by finding the stainless braid. The liner is thin, so it doesnt take much. The carbon provides the conductive path to the hose ends, and not the outer braid.

Last edited:
Why not buy your own mandrels and make your own conductive 303 hoses? As long a you follow the instructions, use lube, start the threads with pressure from an arbor press and blow test them both directions you will be good to go. And have more tools at your disposal.

303 Hose is a rubber lined hose that is bulky/stiff compared to conductive teflon. In addition to having a life limit, the cost of fabricating a 303 hose is more expensive than ordering a prefabricated conductive teflon assembly.

Let's use a -6 hose with straight hose ends and a length of 24" and no firesleeve as our sample. (Once you add in firesleeve or use 45/90 degree fittings some of the prices on the 303, 666, and Earls hoses get very expensive in a hurry)

1. Example 1- 303 Style Hose - Total cost of hose assembly is $87.50 and you still have to assemble it and it is not pressure tested (Pre assembled is $98.76)

$16.50 foot for hose material ($33 total)
491-6 Fittings qty 2 at $27.25 each ($54.50 total)

2. Example 2 - AS Flightlines assembly - Total Cost of Hose Assembly $81.62
- Conductive teflon hose
-Stainless hose ends/certified AN nuts
-Pressure tested,
- Data tagged
-10 year warranty
-On condition replacement.

3. Example 3- Aeroquip 666 conductive teflon hose - Total Cost of Hose Assembly is $271.00 and you still have to assemble it and it is not pressure tested (Pre Assembled with Crimp Fittings is $151.72)

$27.55/foot for hose ($55.10)
Stainless Hose ends reusable $107.95 each (Total $215.90)

For those builders that enjoy the process of fabricating their own assemblies, we have always recommended looking at a product called Earls Speedflex/Speedseal. This is a conductive teflon hose that is available with high quality stainless hose ends that can be field installed. For the time being, it is the only cost effective product that we would recommend that meets the same type of quality as an AS Flightlines Assembly for those wanting to build themselves.

4. Example 4- Earls Speedflex/SpeedSeal - Total cost of hose assembly is $87.90 and you still have to assemble it and it is not pressure tested
-6 Hose is $9/foot
-6 straight fittings are $34.95 each

Aircraft Specialty Flightlines has traditionally been slightly more expensive than 303 style hose and the Speedseal/Speedflex assemblies. However, we have been able to very carefully control our costs over the past few years and it has put us into a position where we have not only the highest quality assemblies for experimental aircraft in the market today, but also the most cost effective. While we do anticipate price increases from time to time, we are very conscious of costs and how they impact the builder community.

With that said, there are some alternatives out there that are slightly less expensive. In the industrial market, one can find rubber or non conductive teflon hoses. A lot of fittings/collars are not made of stainless steel and no one in the industrial market utilizes stamped certified AN nuts with class 3 threads. The conductive nature of the hoses is absolutely critical to ensuring the longevity of the hose assembly as Tom mentioned above. We also have always recommended that all firewall forward hoses are firesleeved. As the OEM supplier of Firewall Forward hoses to VANS for the past several years, we have partnered to bring all integral firesleeve hose assemblies for all VANS firewall forward hoses.

For those builders that are doing something outside of the plans or have a need for custom length assemblies, we are always enthusiastic about helping you come up with solutions for the perfect hose fit in your aircraft.

As always, thank you to the Vans community for an incredible 10+ years. We look forward to a lot of good times to come.

Steve and Tom

Last edited:
Early teflon hoses used in aircraft would leak, due to the static electricity pinpricking the liner, and conducting to the stainless braid. Looked like the sprinkler hoses we had as kids---well some of us anyway. So engineers added carbon to the resin mix when making the teflon liners, so the static would have a path to the hose ends instead of to the stainless braid.
Yep. I have a Nanchang that had automotive braided teflon hose. They are very pretty to look at. Unfortunately one day this hose was like one of those soaker hoses, just as Tom describes. Very disturbing. Perhaps the flow rate of the radial engine caused more static than normal but I swore off racing shop hose materials after that.
303 Hose is a rubber lined hose that is bulky/stiff compared to conductive teflon. In addition to having a life limit, the cost of fabricating a 303 hose is more expensive than ordering a prefabricated conductive teflon assembly.
Then again if re-using 303 end fittings the cost becomes much more economical with 303. Don't get me wrong . I love TS Flightline hoses and I ordered up a whole set for my RV-8 when I did an engine change. But for normal quick shop repairs it's super easy and economical to rebuild a 303.

Thanks
Tim
Check with Tom Swearenger who is a "guru" at making RV hoses. 843-271-2329. He will give you good advice whether you order from him or someone else.

So, is there a way for us to test our Conductive Teflon lines to ensure they have been built properly? ohms??????

So, is there a way for us to test our Conductive Teflon lines to ensure they have been built properly? ohms??????
If memory serves somewhat correctly, I believe its 10 micro-amps @1000 volts. Thats for the hose BEFORE installation of the hose ends. Once these are installed, the carbon liner is compressed on the fitting stem, giving it conducttivity between hose ends, AND the fittings are connected by either crimping or reusable fitting to the stainless braid for conductivity.
Ever had a screw driver or a wrench touch the stainless braid and the + battery terminal or solenoid? Yep, there is an arch, sometimes a burn mark on the braid. Most of the time it has pierced the liner and will leak. Change it. BTW, another reason to firesleeve teflon hoses FWF---its insulates against dropped tools.

First off----303 hose (H8794) is a rubber lined hose. Rubber is an insulator, and keeps whatver possible static discharge away from the braid. 303 has a nylon braid, under a steel braid, under a cotton cover, so its naturally insulated. Teflon, in its natural form is great for flowing fluids, but doesnt insulate against static. Early teflon hoses used in aircraft would leak, due to the static electricity pinpricking the liner, and conducting to the stainless braid. Looked like the sprinkler hoses we had as kids---well some of us anyway. So engineers added carbon to the resin mix when making the teflon liners, so the static would have a path to the hose ends instead of to the stainless braid. All aviation spec teflon hose that moves fluid are carbon lined, or conductive. YES, the flow volumes we have may or may not produce enough static electricity to create an issue,, but I dont want to find out at 10,000 feet.
Cars and industrial equipment are on the ground, so 'grounded', and they can typically use a non conductive liner. As Jim said, you can buy the mandrels and make your own 303 assemblies. You can even make your own 701 style assemblies without mandrels. You can even make your own teflon assemblies with field installed hose ends. Just make sure you use a conductive black liner hose. Most industrial shops dont stock conductive teflon, but the larger ones do. Hope that helps.

Tom

Rubber fuel hose, particularly larger diameter, frequently has additives to make it slightly conductive for the same reason Teflon lined fuel hose must be slightly conductive. Cars are not grounded and that’s why you can get a shock when you touch the door handle on a dry day. Cars have the same leak problems with non-conductive Teflon lined hose.

Back