What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

local source for spark plug socket

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a local source for an aviation spark plug socket (without buying the pricy one from Spruce)? My 3/8" drive Sears deep socket (7/8") is not deep enough. I have a 1/2" drive impact socket that is deep enough, but it seems too big in diameter (hits the probe).

Does Sears, HF, or other sell a sufficiently long 3/8" drive socket?

Thanks,
Scott
7A Finishing

I picked up one a number of years ago from a local auto supply store in Texas, don't remember which one at present. It is 1/2" drive, but seems to work just fine, even on the longer aviation plugs. Says "Mr Goodwrench" on it for the brand.

Does anyone know of a local source for an aviation spark plug socket

When I switched to Autolite plugs a couple years ago I had to get a new socket since the hex on the Autolites is machined differently from the Champions.

I found a suitable 1/2" drive socket at Autozone.

I bought mine at Sears. My original socket worked on Champions but not on Autolites because the wrench hex was located too far down the barrel.

Bring the plug with you,
Steve

Cut it down for Autolites...

I bought mine at Sears. My original socket worked on Champions but not on Autolites because the wrench hex was located too far down the barrel.

Bring the plug with you,
Steve

Yes... and if you get the Sears 1/2 inch deep socket mentioned above, and you use Autolite plugs, then you can cut the socket down by about 1/4 inch. This will help the fit in the #3 and #4 top locations if the baffles are still in place. The Autolite plugs are a little bit shorter than the Champions.

And yes, the 12 point area of the Sears socket goes all of the way down... which isn't the case on most cheap sockets.

gil in Tucson - with a cut-down socket...:)

Spark Plug Socket

I found my deep 7/8 socket didn't work on some plugs also. Rather than buying a $50 socket from Aircraft Spruce, I found that a 7/8 deep socket from NAPA for about $13 works great. This socket is designed for automotive sensor replacement and has a narrow slot for a wire on one side.

Back