What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LL 7/8 MR-16 Landing Light Kit

RudysRV7

Who has used this kit? Does each light bulb get its own wire? I presume that when you are taxing, you have two of the bulbs on, and when you are landing you have all four on.

I need some assistance in selecting wire size. I came up with a 12 gauge wire size for the two bulbs. I think that is over kill. I would like to run 14 gauge.

Any suggestions?

R

2 Each LND/TAXI

I am not flying yet but I plane one each wing aimed for taxi and one each wing aimed for landing. I have a progressive switch that goes OFF/TAXI/LAND. I ran 14 AWG wire as only 2 lights will be on at a time.

Cheers

Look around at alternatives. The MR16 incandescent setup is badly out-of-date......too much power draw, too much heat, not much light. There are LED flashlight conversions with more light.

We installed it back in 2007. It works well... and 12awg we thought was the correct size wire (and 1 to each bulb).

Unless you are really going to use them as Landing / Taxi lights, you could consider just using set 1 until 1 of the bulbs blows, then use set 2. Minimises maintenance. By all reports they are "bright"!

However, if I was fitting them now, I would consider using the kit, but going LED bulbs and much smaller wires.

Andy
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV-8tors

Back