What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Little puckering ok?

rjcthree

Well Known Member
Hi all, just wondering, as I rivet up my LE skins, Pre-built tanks on the way), I've got some puckering at the ribs, especially along the top surface. Pretty normal? It's not bas, not a divot or anything, similar to what I have on my curved portions of my empennage. Thoughts?

Rick 90432sb

Got a picture? Sometimes "puckering" can be caused by starting to rivet a skin at both ends and working your way toward the middle, but I'd hate to say that's what's happening without seeing a picture.

If I understand correctly (you mean you can see the outline of the ribs through the LE skin), I have it too. I always thought it was due to the force you have to apply to the rib to get it to fit into the LE skin. The skin is not formed to the same curve as the ribs (so it seems to me), so the ribs actually deform the skin a bit.

Clarification

By puckering I mean the rivet line is destinctive in that there's a minor indentation at each rivet, and along the line (down the rib) there ends up being a minor deformation - denoting the location of the rib. My emp had it too . . . . didn't matter, squeezed or bucked rivets.

One thing I can say, I LOVE my tungsten bucking bar, -3's become mindless, even -4's are easy(working final skeleton assy). If only my gun skills were now as good as my bucking bar control . . . . but at least I don't have to watch both!

It is not skin 'bubbling' or canning, like the tail surfaces can have (rudder).

I will have to set up a pic-post site tonight. Rick 90432

The airfoils used on the RVs are "turbulent", not laminar. The puckers you describe are cosmetic. The airplane will fly fine.

By puckering I mean the rivet line is destinctive in that there's a minor indentation at each rivet, and along the line (down the rib) there ends up being a minor deformation - denoting the location of the rib. My emp had it too . . . . didn't matter, squeezed or bucked rivets.

Oh, ok, I have that, too!

One thing I can say, I LOVE my tungsten bucking bar, -3's become mindless, even -4's are easy(working final skeleton assy). If only my gun skills were now as good as my bucking bar control . . . . but at least I don't have to watch both!

The tungsten bars are indeed nice. What I also found helps make a good rivet joint is to use a mushroom set that has the rubber ring around the outside. Browns had some surplus ones on sale so I got one and it really helps, especially when you are riveting by yourself, as the gun is less likely to wander off and scratch and ding things.

Back