What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

little house for a little pump (fuel)

[email protected]

Well Known Member
in an effort to retain as much leg room for stretching out i have gone with a simplified fuel pump solution from andair that does not require a return, together with gasolator / filter / strainers in each root there is a much smaller assembly to enclose in the cabin.

i started with the standard vans 'dog house' and progressively cut it down and am quite pleased with the final result.

here is the initial profile of the 'doghouse' enclosure with the andair pump for reference.
img2151jek.jpg

progressive fitting:
img2159i.jpg

and the final result (less color)
img2185t.jpg

img2186u.jpg

the enclosure does not interfere with my leg at all now and it is actually quite comfortable stretching out... looking forward to trying it out cross country...

Last edited:
Do I understand correctly that this pump is a replacement for Van's Fuel Injection Fuel Pump kit?

that's it, one line in, one line out, and a small power control module. the recommended set up per andy with andair is to use gasolators upstream of the fuel selector and pump and eliminate all of the tubing spaghetti in the 'standard' set up, no cost savings though. they had a cut away version of the pump at sun-n-fun along with some photos and stories...

Thanks. I was planning on ordering my fuel selector from Andy at OSH... I may just have to add one of these to my order now.

Is it the same?

I thought that part of the function of the tubing (mess) was to allow a by pass of the filter if it failed. And were is the filter?

Kent

Andair pump

Stephen

May I ask what you paid for the pump?

This year at Sun n Fun it was approx $700.00

Peter

Sir,
is there a pump requirement for ventilation/cooling? I don't have a FI engine. Just wondering.

Andair Boost Pump

We are a distributor for the Andair pump also. The list price is $700.00 plus shipping. You can save an additional 4% if you buy this pump when ordering an Airflow Performance fuel injection kit. So don?t know what other places charge or $ exchange rate and shipping from the UK if you purchase it direct from Andair.

I have personally installed one in a Wheeler Express last month (our pump just wouldn?t fit). Pump flow tests on our pump test equipment was as advertised from Andair (actually the free flow rate was a little more than advertised). Has a little different electrical wiring arrangement. Three wires; ground, +12 VDC, and the pump switch (third wire) goes to ground through the pump switch. (this was an additional challenge on a plane with existing wiring). We did about 6.5 hours of actual flight-testing in 95+ F temps here (105 F on the taxi way). The little guy never missed a beat. The control box gives an audible ?beep? when the master switch is turned on. All in all time will tell, but I have always been impressed with Andy Phillips products (actually I think that this project is Andy?s son Owen?s baby). So for those that have no real estate or just like cool parts this could be the pump for you. Give me a call or e-mail if you need more information on this part.

Don

One thing I am not clear about is what this pump really buys you. My initial thoughts are that it might provide a simpler FI pump installation, but then again "simpler" isn't always better.

Back