What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Little current RV6/6A Youtube content

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
I wonder what RV6 content would help make the RV6 more prominent on Youtube? Of course, the vast majority of RV6s were built before Youtube videos were popular to make. No wonder that there is a paucity of RV6 specific videos. The very few new ones are essentially pilots doing selfies or just scenery, although the SkyWagon University channel did a review which was good. The current RV7 videos are the closest thing to the RV6 experience, though differing in performance and build. It seems to me that the plane that significantly put the RV series on the map should have more presence on Youtube. I'm not a vlogger, but I would encourage more content from those of you RV6 owners who might be. Help support the species!

I appreciate you wanting to keep the RV-6 relevant, but I'm somewhat at a loss as to what you are suggesting. Compared to the total population of current RV projects, the RV-6 is a tiny minority of planes currently under construction. Consequently, it is no surprise you haven't seen construction videos. Even if the videos were produced there would be little demand for them. Who wants to see a builder laying out rivet holes with a fan-spacer (fan-spacer...what's that??). :)

Let's face it, the RV-6's day in the sun has passed. It is still a superb aircraft (I've been flying mine since 1999) but its offspring are now the face of RV-dom. YouTube production is a function of that reality.

Last edited:
Presumably all the RV6s have been built so I agree that build videos would not be very relevant. (Repairs might be interesting, though) However, there are topics relevant to RV6s beyond build videos. For example, while many of the Vans service bulletins apply to several models, it would be interesting to see how an RV6 specifically deals with them. For another example consider that much of the RV6 fleet is currently transitioning to non-builder owners who may be interested to witness experiences in transition training. Heck, it would be entertaining to see a head to head, static and flying comparison between the RV6 and RV7 types. A vlogging mindset must be imaginative with the topics.

I have never considered the RV-6 to be any different than the other RVs that it needed its own YouTube channel. I consider them all the same just with different options (and primers).

Presumably all the RV6s have been built so I agree that build videos would not be very relevant. (Repairs might be interesting, though) However, there are topics relevant to RV6s beyond build videos. For example, while many of the Vans service bulletins apply to several models, it would be interesting to see how an RV6 specifically deals with them. For another example consider that much of the RV6 fleet is currently transitioning to non-builder owners who may be interested to witness experiences in transition training. Heck, it would be entertaining to see a head to head, static and flying comparison between the RV6 and RV7 types. A vlogging mindset must be imaginative with the topics.

Nope, not so!

Too busy building to be waving my hands around on Youtube videos...

According to some of the Vans people there were 4000 kits sold and with 2700 flying that leaves 1300 kits or partial kits in the field. There are two 6's going together in my local area currently.
I don't have a YT channel but I purchased a Go Pro on sale at Costco and I have made several hours of video. Actually kinda fun and I think much of the 6 construction and maintenance would cross over to other models.

Back