What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

List of Maintenance Tools

XOverZero

Well Known Member
OK, all you graybeards, here's today's question: What tools are needed just for maintaining an RV?

A friend of mine is this close to finalizing a deal on a flying RV, and he asked me what tools, materials, equipment, and supplies he'll need for routine maintenance. Since I'm a first timer who hasn't been there yet, I can't answer that nearly well enough. All the lists of required tools I've seen are for building the plane, but I haven't come across any list for ongoing maintenance items. I searched the forums here but came up dry.

Is anyone aware of such a list, magazine article, etc? What does the well stocked hangar contain (besides the essential tv, couch, fridge, and biffy)?

Note to Ironflight...suggestion for an article if not already somewhere in those archives.

different tools

Hello
The tools needed to build the plane are not necessarily the same as those required to maintain it.
If you are doing sheet metal repairs or modifications then having building tools is great. If you are doing an annual or engine work some specific tools will be needed. The majority of work requiring specific tools is engine work with some wheel and brake stuff as well. Inspection is mostly just screwdriver, eyeballs, a strong light and mirror as required.

Here is a short list;
cylinder compression tester, spark plug socket and tray
spark plug cleaner and gap tool
magneto timing tool, as required depending on ignition type
oil drain bucket or other container for proper disposal
oil filter wrench and filter cutter tool for inspecting the filter element
stainless steel safety wire (0.032" and 0.025") and duckbill pliers and/or safety wire twister pliers
inspection mirrors various sizes with extendable handles
flashlights, LED or other
Notepad for recording findings
screwdriver and/or cordless drill for removing panels
brake rivet tool
air compressor for inflating tires, etc.

Lubricants needed include some types of the following;
light spray lube for rod ends
Mouse milk for exhaust ball/slip joints
wheel bearing grease

If the plane has problems more tools will be needed depending on what is at fault, wiring, brakes, antennas, landing gear, fiberglass parts, etc...
I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite must have tools, the list is just what comes to mind and a good start. Check A and P schools for a list of tools that starting mechanics need to get.
As to where to get these things, check the Spruce catalog, Aircraft Tool Supply, Avery tools and many others.
Hope this helps.
Phil

Needed tools & supplies

I'll add to that list.

Obvious needs:
Wrenches, ratchets and sockets, especially a few different shapes of 3/8 & 7/16, but wrenches up through 7/8".
A set of crows feet are nice to have and sometimes necessary.
1/4" & 3/8" drive torque wrenches
Screw driver(s) and some sort of screw gun (cordless drill is a must in my book).
Supply of 6-32 & 8-32 screws, some countersunk & some round head.
Supply of AN3 & 4 bolts, nuts & washers

Not so obvious:
Brake fluid supply and bleeder
Brake lining rivet tool
Hardware bin for putting hardware that's off for inspection
Mineral spirits and sprayer for cleaning engine during inspection
Plexus and soft paper towels for cleaning plexiglass
Simple Green Extreme for cleaning grease and oil off airframe
K&N Filter cleaning kit

That's all that comes to mind.

Back