What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Liquid Gasket

macrafic

Well Known Member
I'd like to look at a different option than the self-stick foam provided in the Duckworks landing/taxi light installation. If you build this as they recommend, drilling the lens while holding it tight with a packing tape handle, I just don't see room left in there for any kind of thicker foam. I've completed it and it is a nice fit, but by no means waterproof.

Has anybody tried using any liquid gasket maker substance? Something that would fill the gaps, stay flexible, and not provide adhesion (don't want to glue the lens to the wing)?

I tried using 732 RTV on a sample piece by placing it on a piece of aluminum, placing wax paper over that, then the plexi glass. Clamped it together for 24 hours and checked it. Seems to be OK, but was wondering if there were other options that might be better (substance specifically made for this kind of application, such as an automobile glass company might use).

I have made a couple of seals on bbq cooker doors by useing rtv on one side then coat the surface that you do not want stuck with a light grease. Press them together til the rtv is set and then then remove the grease. This seems to work well. Please try a test piece to get the hang of how thick to make the grease.
Your mileage may vary.

Back