What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightweight travel tool set

I am completing my phase 1 flight tests and starting to think further ahead to trips away and sensible tooling to carry. I have read many posts on what tools people carry and thought what about lightweight tools like aluminium spaners etc.

After a quick net search I didn't find anything that stood out. Has anyone come across any tool suppliers that carry lightweight tools that are good for emergency purposes in the bush?

Travel Kit-a start on a list

Do not like most lightweight tools I've seen.

Likely needs on the road: Just a general start.

1-Cowl removal to check the FWF :
Add to that a spark plug tool and a spare plug and a quart of oil/funnel/ rags as needed

2-Wheel pant removal for tire/brake issue: The top maintenance issue for RV's I've operated and been around.

7/16" wrench for brakes. Spare cotter pins and a few feet of safety wire. A large wrench to get the wheel nut off. A jack of sorts. Spare tube or patch. Air gauge. Several large screw drivers to break the tire bead plus socket wrenches to disassemble the wheel. Tube stem tool to remove/replace the valve. Air source. Rags

3-Whatever your bird requires in order to be jumped off if the battery is weak. Jumper cables, or a three pin plug or Piper plug with short cables on them so a vehicle could jump you.

4-Tie down ropes for those locations without rope or poor ones.

5-Mini chocks

Since you are in a country with vast expanses of remote areas, you might need a survival kit and actually carry a spare tire if you frequent rough strips. Storage of all this can be made in wingtips and underneath cargo area floors.

Last edited:
Back