What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed ignition - sensor wire routing?

bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm in the process of installing the new mini sensor, which has a sensor wire like the direct crank sensor. I need to see how others have routed their sensor wire from the front of the engine to the firewall, while avoiding spark plug wires and the coils. I have my coils mounted on top of the engine near the back. Thanks!

Bobby-

I have a pile of photos if you are interested. Here's a small sample. Note that this is a dual Lightspeed installation. The blue tube is reinforced urethane, fairly high-temp rated (though I don't recall the exact value), slit and installed over the OEM cable to protect from abrasion/dirt/cuts/etc:

i-nxs5hWx-XL.jpg

i-nNwPxLG-XL.jpg

i-MjfnmCD-XL.jpg

i-4Vp5Sjx-XL.jpg

The last photo makes it look like the plug wires are resting on the signal cables. They aren't; there is at least 1" of clearance.

Same here, I went down between in the intakes on the pilot's side. Put an Adel clamp on the baffling to keep the wire away from any moving parts, then put Adels on the intakes (I want to say it was a DG-26), onto the engine mount and through the firewall in a passthrough separate from the output cables.

There was no interference with the two lower plug wires (#2, and #4) as both were routed from the mag (I have one mag and one LS) around the outside of the baffling. I have the LS box mounted on the left forward rib of the subpanel.

My crank sensor wire runs straight back under cyl 2 & 4 bundled with with the starter cable, then up thru the firewall near the top to the LS box on the left fwd subpanel rib (same as Bob's location).
The RG400 coil feeds emerge from the f'wall adjacent (not the same opening, just near it) run straight thru the rear engine baffle on the L side.

Back