What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Ignition Leads

N79PT

I am looking at replacing the the high voltage ignition leads on my LSE at the recommended 3 year point. Has anyone used an automotive type substitute for these wires? Klaus' are extremely pricey for what seems like a readily used ignition lead.

I believe you can buy kits with the exact same brand from parts stores - I don't recall it at the moment, but it is written on the leads.

Thanks for the info. I'll start by looking at the leads real close up. Bosch perhaps?

--Greg

I'd stick to the prescribed wire.. (MSD Superconductor 8.5mm)..

from the manual:

C. HIGH TENSION LEADS

The high tension leads supplied in the kit must be used with the PLASMA I and the PLASMA III CDI system since its spark energy is far too great to be used with any shielded aircraft leads or high resistance automotive wires.

If you order them from Summit Racing over the phone don't mention you're putting them on an airplane. They won't sell them to you. I had to complete my drive to the house and order them from Summit Racing Online.

It's also a good idea to get the terminal crimps, if you don't already have a pair. The cheap ones work good enough.

summitracing.com
Part # MSD-34019 is exact match to Klaus' ignition leads (this is 25' roll)
Part # MSD-8852 are the boots and terminals.

Thanks Clayton for the tip-off.

By the "cheap" terminal crimps you referred to--do you mean the ones I probably used for the standard aircraft wiring chores or some version of the ratcheting crimps for spark plugs that I googled for $50-$100? Not having dissected the leads yet I'm not sure what the job entails.
--Greg

Yes, that's great info. Not one of the leads I got were a suitable length for any of the runs on my engine. And I really wanted straight boots for the bottom plugs, to better clear the exhausts. Now, any experience with the heat shielding that MSD has? Maybe someone who has some extra they'd sell so I don't have to buy way too much? I think I'd feel better if the lower leads had some extra protection.

Thanks Clayton for the tip-off.

By the "cheap" terminal crimps you referred to--do you mean the ones I probably used for the standard aircraft wiring chores or some version of the ratcheting crimps for spark plugs that I googled for $50-$100? Not having dissected the leads yet I'm not sure what the job entails.
--Greg

I picked up a pair of these for $19.99 at O'Reilly's Auto: ACCEL - CRIMP TOOL (SUPERSTOCK CRIMP TL)
Item No: 170037

They're a little tweaky to use (because they're cheap) but with 25' of ignition wire, you can afford to re-do a couple. I pulled the boots off the one's from Klaus and tried to make my new crimped terminals look exactly like his - paying close attention to the length of the wire showing beyond the stripped end, and how it crimped into the terminal. With an "end game" sight picture, it's not too hard to get these cheap crimps to work just fine. I've been running these on my engine since first start with no problems.

Back