What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lights not approved for night VFR flight

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Can someone tell me why the Whelen Microburst Plus II lights are not approved for night VFR flight under 91.205(c)?

Mel beat me to it.

"Product does not meet the requirements of 91.205(c), required equipment for night flight.Airplanes certified for night operation should not consider this product."

It's due to no rear facing light on the aft side. I run these for night due to the fact the aft facing light would work with our tips anyways

It's due to no rear facing light on the aft side. I run these for night due to the fact the aft facing light would work with our tips anyways
ummmmm. the standard inset wingtip light doesn't shine towards the read of the aircraft..............
Perhaps they meet the standards if a taillight (white and strobe) is installed?

ummmmm. the standard inset wingtip light doesn't shine towards the read of the aircraft..............
Perhaps they meet the standards if a taillight (white and strobe) is installed?
The light kit with the tail light is still listed as "not compliant". :unsure: Begs the question: then what are they for if you can't use them to fly at night? That would be expensive just for good looks........ Maybe they have not gone through the necessary paperwork to have them approved. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, you must have another (tail) strobe to meet the requirements if your other two are inside the standard wing tips.
The actual FAR requirements are hidden inside the words ‘approved’. Usually the faa interprets this to mean, ‘meets the specifications as stated in some TSO document’, which would include minimum brightness standards at various angles, the minimum allowed solid angle coverage, maybe even vibration tolerance or RF noise standards? Meeting these involves a lot of engineering cost. For EABs the faa seems happy with ‘meets the performance standards’, or, ‘it’s brighter than other TSO’d lights and can be seen in all directions’.

The light kit with the tail light is still listed as "not compliant". :unsure: Begs the question: then what are they for if you can't use them to fly at night? That would be expensive just for good looks........ Maybe they have not gone through the necessary paperwork to have them approved. 🤷‍♂️
Just a guess: I think these lights are legal for ‘extra lighting’, e.g., if you had a conventional approved red rotating beacon up on the tail you would satisfy the night anti-collision lighting requirement. These would just be ‘extra’.

Sounds to me that a bunch of us are flying illegally at night. My (non-tso) Aveo Zip Tips in addition to landing/taxi lights, there are position lights in the wing tip w/strobes, and white position lights w/strobes on the rear of the wingtip. It lights up like a Christmas tree!
Well, and who is going to know that the airplane that just landed and BLINDED everyone is running lights that are not legal?? Seems like they would have bigger fish to fry.....

While I was reading up on tail light requirements for my project. I read all the must be visible from angles horizontally and angles vertically.

Obviously this light has not undergone the testing.

While I was reading up on tail light requirements for my project. I read all the must be visible from angles horizontally and angles vertically.

Obviously this light has not undergone the testing.
The problem is the white position light mounted on the rear of the nav light. There are very few wingtips that will allow that location and provide visible angles from the rear. An easy solution would be to mold a white LED light into the trailing edge of the tip, and wire it into the nav light. I'm sure there are all sorts of mini 12v white LED lights available.

Back