What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lighting options

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i am building eab and i don't think i want to follow vans rv-12 lighting kit 100%. there are so many choices for landing lights, nav and strobe i really don't know enough about the choices and mounting hdwe. to be able to sort it out.
soooooo would any of you who have experience/knowledge with lighting and e mail me private with a phone number or take mine so i can ask questions and figure out what i can do.
my license is now lsa so my landing light is for recognition and from what i have seen on my own build strobes i have are really weak and maybe i should just go with nav and skip the strobes.
a lot of questions.

i am building eab and i don't think i want to follow vans rv-12 lighting kit 100%. there are so many choices for landing lights, nav and strobe i really don't know enough about the choices and mounting hdwe. to be able to sort it out.
soooooo would any of you who have experience/knowledge with lighting and e mail me private with a phone number or take mine so i can ask questions and figure out what i can do.
my license is now lsa so my landing light is for recognition and from what i have seen on my own build strobes i have are really weak and maybe i should just go with nav and skip the strobes.
a lot of questions.

IMHO go with the ones you can order with the 12 Kit. I built as an EAB, but would not change them. You could add 2nd landing light, but the one is enough. I did move it to the pilot side wing. :)

I have been thinking about a 12, and debated the E-LSA vs E-AB for a while. If I were to commence building right now, I'd build it E-LSA and use the factory lighting. Why? Because anything I did later would keep it within LSA boundaries anyway, and while I don't build for the next owner I do think the difference in resale value between an E-LSA RV12 and an E-AB RV12 would probably far exceed the higher cost of the Van's light kit.

Just my humble opinion.

The strobes are indeed weak and not very visible during daylight. The landing light has a breathtaking price tag to it and I am not sure how valuable it really is in your flying operations as a Sport Pilot. I suspect the main reason they were chosen is that they had a current draw that was easy on the somewhat anemic internal alternator of the Rotax.
So whatever alternative lighting ideas you might consider, keep that in mind if you stick with the Rotax.

I had not considered the strobes to be weak! They are pricey, but I THOUGHT I was getting the brightest and best. Now you busted my bubble:mad:
The strobes are indeed weak and not very visible during daylight. The landing light has a breathtaking price tag to it and I am not sure how valuable it really is in your flying operations as a Sport Pilot. I suspect the main reason they were chosen is that they had a current draw that was easy on the somewhat anemic internal alternator of the Rotax.
So whatever alternative lighting ideas you might consider, keep that in mind if you stick with the Rotax.

I never fly at night, but installed a landing light for collision avoidance. I bought the landing light parts (ribs and lens & misc) from Van's without the LED lamp. Then I made a bracket to hold a reflector and bought a HID kit from eBay. The 35 watt HID uses about 3 amps. Since I used Van's parts, I can always install their LED lamp in the future, if desired.
Joe Gores

No night flying for me but there are LOTS of birds here. I leave the landing light on pulse all the time.

i appreciate the feedback. for the landing light [or lights] i was hoping vans can supply all but the light. i was thinking for collision avoidance in the pattern even 2 lights would be worthwhile. on the landing lights i was also thinking hid, not led. i know led is the new technology but from the pics i think hid would work for collision avoidance.
in the strobe dept. my take on them is the aeroflash strobes i have on my dakota hawk are very weak and even the best are hard to see on all but dark overcast days. seems strobes give a sense of security but i question how useful they are . i am really thinking about pulling all the wires to the wingtip for strobes, nav, position but for me i would only go with the nav and position.
also, i am supposed to take my time and enjoy this build [and i have one flying] so i think at least 21/2 years until the rv-12 flies. so much has changed in lighting in the past 5 yrs. there must be more improvements on the way before i am even ready to fly.
any input from anyone that could help me make decisions along these lines would be appreciated.
even trying not to become obsessed with building i am already ready to order the wings.

Hi Bob,

Not sure what Macks comments mean but I can tell you the strobes work real well even on a fine day. I have put two landing lights in and when they strobe as well you are lit up like a Christmas Tree. I think the one landing light would show up nicely as well in combination with your strobes. You will just fly a bit out off level:)

Cheers

Julian 120316

Bob - be sure to install the ADSB box when the time comes. You will be AMAZED at the traffic it will show that you cannot easily see - that even when you know where to look you may not see, strobes or not! This doesn't address the issue of you wanting to be seen via the strobes (but you WILL have adsb-out because of the transponder...) I think the -12 strobes are as bright as any other planes. They show up well in some ground-shot videos I have of me landing.

i guess all i can say about resale is that i don't care what my relatives get for my estate!

Me too! I voiced this same opinion when people went crazy wondering why I'd choose a Jabiru engine versus the Vans-offered Rotax. I'm building what I WANT.

Lighting options

Bob, Take a look at Ztron Labs - an advertiser on VAF site. I bought their LED Strobe/position lights and 2 LED landing lights-$500 total and 3 year warranty. Landing lights were easy to mount using a sheet metal piece I cut and then attached two end brackets from the rv12 kit. Strobes don't come with a housing. I formed left and right side hardwood molds and made fiberglass housings from the molds. Call me at 530-872-5505 or PM me if you want more info. Ken

a lot of questions.

I think the Aeroled kit that Van's sells is top notch. They are very bright IMHO, and Aeroled provides superior top notch service.

The lighting kit is not easy for a first time builder, it took me a lot of work to get it so, and even now, as my wings sit in the hangar, there is a little gap in the plexi lens to the wing that I am not completely happy with. But with a little searching on here you can find some threads with gotchas and tips.

The other issue is amperage draw. The leds are so nice, such a low draw, you can test them with a 9V battery.... long life, very bright.

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. My only gripe is the lack of shielded wiring for the noise that the strobes apparently put out..... but some have done that and it is not too hard to put that wire in place of the standard wiring.

Back