What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightening Holes, outboard HS

Tumper

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,

I think I have heard of someone closing off the lightening holes in the outside rib of the HS. I think for esthetics and to keep bugs out. Am I dreaming? This sounds like a good idea to me, but does someone have thoughts on how to best to accomplish this?

Yes, possibly a good idea. Closing "stuff" off also means faster. Let your imagination run. Consider elevator restrictions upon failure and all will be well.

Hey Guys,

I think I have heard of someone closing off the lightening holes in the outside rib of the HS. I think for esthetics and to keep bugs out. Am I dreaming? This sounds like a good idea to me, but does someone have thoughts on how to best to accomplish this?

I used aluminum tape from Home Depot. Blends in well if your rib is unpainted.
Make sure it's on there good so it won't come off in flight.

I used a srap of aluminum and attached nutplates to it. Drilled and csk holes in the outboard rib and used screws to hold it in place (the block plate is in the inside of the rib. The Forum says I can't post attachements, but if someone tells me how, I can post some pictures. Otherwise let me know your e-mail and I can send them if you wish.

Sorry I've taken so long to reply. The added plate is narrow enough to go through the rear spar lightening holes to install. I've e-mailed the pics to you. I used SS washers and torx screws (# 6 I think). You could use any size you want, I'm sure.

Back