What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lifting engine

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Looking ahead, I see that the Rotax does not have a lifting lug. I'm guessing that the proper way to lift this is with webbing straps, and have bought a pair of 1" straps rated at 300# each. Is there a "best" way to place these under/around the engine so as not to damage someting critical? Probably won't be doing this for a while since van's can't ship a replacement nosewheel strut for 3 weeks "or so".
May change the plan to installing the avionics next!!!

Wayne 120241/143WM

Cheer up -- page 46-10

Looking ahead, I see that the Rotax does not have a lifting lug. I'm guessing that the proper way to lift this is with webbing straps, and have bought a pair of 1" straps rated at 300# each. Is there a "best" way to place these under/around the engine so as not to damage someting critical?
Wayne 120241/143WM

Hey Wayne,
The plans tell you exactly where to place the lifting straps.
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/Powerplant/10588224_48ZYn#766046406_BVnpW-A-LB][/URL]

Tony

I lifted mine the same way as tony, except I used 1/2" rope. I had my engine on my bench and the engine hoist wouldn't reach far enough over for a clean lift without lengthening the boom. We were too lazy to do that so we just picked it up and hung it on the hoist. I wouldn't attempt to mount it by habd, but 2 guys can lift it no problem.

Used 1/2 nylon rope

I used 1/2" nylon rope to lift the engine. Both ends of the rope are tied to the engine mount. A loop in the center of the rope is shoved through the hollow prop shaft. A wooden dowel keeps the loop from pulling back out. A ring around the rope keeps the lifting device from sliding forward of aft along the rope.
Joe
DSCN4153.JPG

Back