What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Life Span of a Tire?

RV3bpilot

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone knows how long the tires will hold up under storage? It took me 11 years to build the plane so the tires look new but maybe I should be getting some new tubes and tires just as a preventative. I am sure a flat tire will destroy my wheel pants because they are so close to the ground..
Robin

So, are you looking for someone to tell you it is OK to fly with 11 year old tires???

Wont be me..........

Think about what a blown tire on your first flight will do to ruin your day:eek:

Tires

I have had the unfortunate luck of having both a flat main and now a flat nose wheel during trips. Huge PITA.

Buy new tires and buy new good quality tubes. Carry a spare main and nose tube with you too. Not worth the risk to save a few bucks.

Brand new AirHawk 5.00-5 tires are only $59 each, $118/pair from Desser. Shipping is quick and free for orders over $100.
That's awfully cheap insurance.

The tubes are what's expensive... $50 each for Leakguards.

Please check my thread on tires before buying new ones

There is a major difference in tires new off the shelf - they are not all created equal. I bought three different types at the same time and compared them side by side and reported with photos in this forum. I had two flats on landing last year (disappointing but not something I couldn't handle operationally) with one type of tire that drove me to this. Don't waste your money!

As far as your stored tirse are concerned, you could ask yourself what are the causes of failure and what are the effects of failure. If you are on a tight budget I would inspect the tires and if they are visuall OK, I would consider buying new Michlen Air Stop tubes and using the current tires. They are probably no worse than cheap tires.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Took me 11 years to build and I had the Van's tires since 2007, I think. The plane went on the gear in '08. I flew the Phase I with the old tires and tubes, then replaced them over the winter with the Monster retreads, which are fabulous.

You might as well put 'em on now.

My Emeraude has 40 year old Air-Tracs on it that look like new (lands @ 35 mph). A few years ago I took a 60 year old pair of "gum-dipped" Firestones off a T-craft. If they truly look good, they probably are. If they're cracky with crusty rubber, probably not.

Tire Life Span

I have been flying since September but only put on 17 hours on the old tires. They look great and each tube leaks about one pound of air per week. I have done a lot of landings. But when I saw the post about the flat tire that made me start thinking. I bought a trailer that had an old tire but it looked great from the outside but it blew out the first time I used the trailer to haul some thing! Hummmmm
I will be looking at my tires very closely now and saving up the money to purchase some new rubber.

RV3b with 17 hours on the tires

Thank you Mike...
o0xhrb.jpg

Back