What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Let AP fly plane, pseudo partnership

RNB

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm bringing home an RV10 this week, new to me. I have little experience working on things, had been planning on getting lots of stuff done at first inspection, might have another option.

If I encounter an AP (commercially rated, owns another RV model) that is willing to help work on the plane, perhaps teach me hands on, how might we structure a relationship that has us both benefit? Formally can keep track of hours worked in exchange for time flown, of just be informal and give them a set of keys?

Anyone else do things and how does it work out?

Prop needs taken off for overhaul.
Need 2nd ADHRS, maybe with AFS stuff, maybe Garmin G5.
Governor?
Magnetos need exchange or updated.
Maybe new hoses.

Thanks. I look forward to intermittent reading of responses as I fly on a jet to pick up a perfect 10...

If you stop to think about it, what you’re asking isn’t really an airplane question - its a relationship question. How do you feel about dating, living togetehr, and/or marriage….and what are your attitudes about how two people handle those things? WHat will you do when you find old candy wrappers stuffed under the seat of YOUR plane?

You can worry about structuring cost sharing and balancing use all you want…but its really about how YOU react to interpersonal relationships.

Paul

If I encounter an AP (commercially rated, owns another RV model) that is willing to help work on the plane, perhaps teach me hands on, how might we structure a relationship that has us both benefit?

The best relationship you can have with an A&P you "encounter" is to pay the man to work on your plane and keep it a totally professional owner/mechanic arrangement. You fly the RV-10 as the sole owner/pilot and he gets paid to keep it in good operating condition........kinda like hundreds of other RV owners do.

You are beginning a journey that you admit you have little background with, why complicate it with a challenging relationship?

Back