What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Length for Gear Leg Flex Brake Lines

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Tom at TSFlightlines is going to make up some flex brake lines for me. He indicates people order gear leg lengths of 28-31.5 inches. What have others on here used and was it a good length once you installed it? Just wondering if anyone has recommendation on the length that works best.

I just messed up on this one, and am sending the line back to Tom today to shorten. I told Tom 31.5" based on information from others here, and Tom sent me beautiful lines, 31.5" seat to seat (perhaps fractionally longer). They are too long by 1.25" to fit well, and there isn't much you can do with extra line in this area. So, for Tom's seat to seat measurement, I suggest 30.25", but I'll know for sure how well this works when I get them back in a few days. The only way 31.5" works is total length, end to end, and even then it is a bit long.

I know it really seems--

like a pain to get the measurements for your particular plane, but for the same model planes I have lengths that really vary. Some +- 5 inches. I think it is probably the way builders route the hoses. I really like for guys to give me measurements to fit the way THEY route their hoses, and not the way someone else built theirs. Sure does save time and USPS in the long run.
Several of you have been very kind in providing the plans lengths. Some multiple offenders know what they are looking for. But for the most part, most of you are first time builders, and may route something alittle differnet to suit your plane. To me, thats what's fun about working with all of you--your RV is YOUR plane, not mine. Helping you to create the plane of your dreams is why I do this.
I can assure you that I take alot of effort to make sure everyone gets what they order, first time. Not everything is by the plans. Bob Leffler's 10 isnt the same as Dana Saucier's 10, or Phil's 10, or Pierre Smith's 10. I know of 2 RV8's that are being built side by side, but they wil be different.
My point to everyone is that after doing this for several years now, I have concluded that it's best to have the builder provide me with his/her hose dimensions. It really works well, especially when custom assemblies are needed. I will say that sometimes stuff happens and lengths change. I've made every effort to fix the assemblies, and it didnt matter if it were my error or the customers error. I certainly hope everyone understands.
Tom

True Tom, thanks. I was just hoping to consolidate the order and use a standard length if conventional wisdom applied to routing. Plus its less money to the shipping company with a single order.

Here you go....

Here are the photo's of 31.5". It works like a champ.

Front View:
ac1306de.jpg

Rear View:
9680d1b8.jpg

Routing:
6df6a176.jpg

Phil

Back