What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LEMO headset plug

NASA515

Well Known Member
There have been past postings on this but I am unable to resurrect them. I'm coming up on buying a pair of headsets - probably the Lightspeed Zulu 2 - it comes with an assortment of terminal fittings. I'd like to go with the LEMO plug as it is the cleanest and simplest hookup, one connector instead of two, and eliminates the battery box hassle with an ANR headset.

As noted in the previous (un-located) posting, Vans promised this powered headset feature in their Skyview PDF - page 31. This feature seems unsupported in the Wiring Diagram for Finish kits shipped prior to 8/25/2011 (mine) and for kits shipped after that date, the Power, which seems to sit on Pin 1 of ES-00042, is not utilized.

Installing the LEMO config after Cert is possible, but then you have the wrong headsets. Adapters are available, but they introduce more bulk and are costly.

Has anyone installed the LEMO headset power lashup? Prior to certification? What is the effect on the requirement to "Build per Print"?

Bob Bogash
N737G

It is very unlikely that the DAR or FAA inspector will follow every wire to make sure the RV-12 is wired according to the plans. They have more important things to do like making sure the aircraft is safe to fly.
Notice that I avoided recommending that you deviate from the plans. :D
Joe Gores

You might consider conventional jacks with borrowed conventional headsets. This would get you through cert without the anxiety.
Then after cert, drill the holes and wire the LIMOs up literally in parallel with the other jacks. I actually have my Glasair set up that way. That is to say, after flying for years with conventional plugs and that pesky in-line battery box, I bought new headsets and installed LIMOs, but did not remove or disconnect the original jacks. It proves handy when someone wants to use their own (non-LIMO) headset in my plane. They can just plug them into the conventional jacks and they're happy! Let me know if you need the wiring diagram. Happy to show you what I have.
Warning: no guarantees...the aircraft has only been operating like this for fifteen years........and if Van didn't recommend this to start with, you could die at any moment just from thinking about it.
Be careful out there!

Bob, what Joe said. I understand your reluctance, but don't think it would be noticed. I pulled the power for mine from the power point. I also connected the power wire to this circuit to the load side of the master relay. This keeps the circuit from being hot all the time. Doing this keeps your batt. from discharging if you forget to switch something off. Ask me how I know this one?

Last edited:
As noted in the previous (un-located) posting, Vans promised this powered headset feature in their Skyview PDF - page 31. This feature seems unsupported in the Wiring Diagram for Finish kits shipped prior to 8/25/2011 (mine) and for kits shipped after that date, the Power, which seems to sit on Pin 1 of ES-00042, is not utilized.

As I had posted somewhere here before, the power supply option is supported by Van's. In the wiring diagram for my "Finish Kit shipped before..." -12 which uses conversion harnesses, the power supply for the headsets is routed to each seat pan. The wires lead back to the Control Module Optional plug, pin 17 "Audio Power". The wires are ORG/BLK, and are named WH-P600 and -P601.
All you have to do is to put them to good use, i.e. by installing a parallel LEMO connector (so you can spare an adapter when using a conventional headset).
As Van's tells you to heat shrink the ends, this would have to happen after certification to stay within ELSA requirements.

Back