What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leg Fairing Hinge Pins,...

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm trying to fit the gear leg fairings on an 7A model and just can't visualize how I am going to be able to get the hinge pins in from the bottom or top without severe bending. :confused:

It looks like at the very least, the wheels will have to come off before inserting the pins from the bottom and even then, there will be a lot of bend which will probably make it a lot harder to insert the pins.

Just wondering what kind of efforts it will take to get the hinge pins in and out a couple of times for fitting, etc.

Any tricks, traps ???? All suggestions appreciated !

Bill S
7a finishing

Pins

Pins will fit with tires on. Push them up from the bottom, They will bend more than you think. I ground the the end to a bullet shape. I test fit mine several times before I put them on the gear leg, made sure they go thru hinge easy. Be carefull with oil, you do not want to get any on fiberglass, it will make it harder to paint when ready. Hope this helps

As Brent said pins are inserted from the botton and they are very flexible assuming you are using Vans hinges. Boelube helps.

FWIW, I insert mine from the top for the mains, bottom for the nose fairings. As noted, the wire will flex a lot more than one would think. I thought that was the way they were shown on my set of plans. Helps to point the end and add a tiny bit of lubricant.

greg

I took my wheels and brake mounting plates off when I was initially fitting the fairings. Later found that I could insert the pin from the bottom. In my opinion it's worth taking the wheels off during the initial fit of the gear leg fairings...

Thanks, just wanted a little reassurance that they would bend enough to actually get them in. Since I have the plane in the air to unload the legs, I will probably just start them with the wheels off until I get them fitted a little better.

Thanks for the input!

Bill S
7a finishing

Thanks, just wanted a little reassurance that they would bend enough to actually get them in. Since I have the plane in the air to unload the legs, I will probably just start them with the wheels off until I get them fitted a little better.

I have a 6A which uses the same fiberglass fairings, cut to a slightly different length. I install them with the wheel pant & intersection fairings off.........but the tires stay on. The bottom intersection fairing is actually glassed to the wheel pant, but can be screwed on with nutplates if desired. This allows the fairings to swivel on the gear leg for plenty of access to install the hinge pin. When the wheel pants and upper interesection fairings are installed, it's them that sets the final angle of the fairings to the airstream. This angle was set with the plane jacked up & gear unloaded............using the string method. I have marks on the fairing & gear leg to tighten the clamp at the top, which should align with the upper fairing.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back