What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leftovers?

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I'm getting pretty close to finishing up my wings and I realized that there is quite a bit of leftover material. I bought my kit used, so I am assuming that a former builder bought this extra, I'm just not sure what the intended use is.

I Have:

The two ~14' fuse longerons (not really leftover...)
48' of 3/4 X 3/4 X .063 angle (4 X 12' sticks) - Is this also used in the fuselage?
25' of 3/4 X 3/4 X .125 angle (12', 7', and 6' lengths) ???

Any ideas, or other than the longerons, is this just extra? Heck, of you are buying all that .063 angle, why not get two extra longerons while you are at it...just in case.

Last edited:
Was it a QB Fuselage?

I had a similar list of extra material. I believe they had a problem with the pick lists on the early QB Fuselage kits. You already figured out that the longerons shipped with the Wing Kit so they could share the long box. If the kit transitioned from standard build wings to QB fuselage, that would account for the material.

What about leftover hardware

I am getting pretty close to my inspection, about a month or so, and I still have quite a bit of hardware in my bags. Granted I have modified a few things, and picked up a lot of hardware myself, but did anybody else have a small box of extra stuff lying around when they were done?

Randy

I had a similar list of extra material. I believe they had a problem with the pick lists on the early QB Fuselage kits. You already figured out that the longerons shipped with the Wing Kit so they could share the long box. If the kit transitioned from standard build wings to QB fuselage, that would account for the material.

Not a quickbuild as far as I know. The old invoices only show the Emp and wings. I just ordered the SB fuselage from Vans back in December. Sounds like I don't need the 12' lengths for a specific application, I just wanted to make sure before I started to use it for brackets and other small bits.

Might be worth a quick call to Vans

Not a quickbuild as far as I know. The old invoices only show the Emp and wings. I just ordered the SB fuselage from Vans back in December. Sounds like I don't need the 12' lengths for a specific application, I just wanted to make sure before I started to use it for brackets and other small bits.

I know they ship the 14' longerons with the wing kit but not sure what the 12 footers would have been for? I would make a quick call before I started hacking them up just in case.

Seats ??

Did you buy seats (from CAD for example)? There is some angle in the seats, if you make them to plans!

Regards, Tonny.

Did you buy seats (from CAD for example)? There is some angle in the seats, if you make them to plans!

Regards, Tonny.

I All I have are the Emp and Wings, nothing else out of the ordinary.

I'll double check the inventory and call Vans to make sure I'm OK the cut this angle up.

What I did was go through the preview plans and find every part that had to be fabbed from angle and made a list categorized by angle type. Van's provides a list of fabbed parts, but it wasn't sorted in the most usable way. Can't speak for the 6, but for the 9 kit the longest .063 3/4 x 3/4 was a bellcrank rib stiffer of almost 3 feet. The seats chew up a bunch of .125 3/4 x 3/4 material.

My advice to anyone ordering a wing kit - order an extra longeron or even two. They're cheap compared to the shipping you'll pay if you have to order them again. The longerons aren't that difficult once you've done them, but having that extra will help keep the stress level down.

In my case I ended up ordering extra angle in most sizes, especially that 2 x 2 1/2 angle. I kept messing up parts and running out of material.

Back