What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Left wing tip

Flyer68

Well Known Member
Page 17-05 Part no. F1204E-L
What method did you guys use to bent this piece around to line up the holes?
I've tried crimping, like on a rib, and that worked to an extent. I got about 4-5 more holes to line up, but now I'm stuck. I've crimped the heck out of it and I still can't get the last holes even close?
Also, I looked on Van's website to get the cost of the part and it's not listed? I'll have to call them later.

Help,

Flyer68

Van's parts listings

Just got off of the phone with Van's. I messed up my Rudder Skin before even driving the first rivet - now I have a $45.00 piece of scrap to use for trying out my spray gun, etc!!

Anyway, a lady at Van's (push #2 to order parts) told me that there are quite a few parts 'not listed'. So a call is no problem for them - at least with a part that is easy to describe.

Maybe this will help - dial 1800goog411 (Google's 411 service) and they will give you Van's number and then connect you to Van's for free. Can't beat that price!!! :cool:

Wing tip rib ... W1204 E-R & L

I had a major problem with those parts also (wing tip ribs W1204E L&R). :( :confused:

Check out my builder's blog in my signature below in this reply and go to Wednesday, July 30, 2008. Lots of pictures and I hope a solution to your problem.

Good Luck! :)

I had a hard time with this part until I realized I needed to flute both sides of the flange to get it to go araound the corner. I also remember needing to put three flutes real close together on some of the tabs. It's a tough and time consuming task. I remember having it clecoed on and off again at least a dozen times!

I too had no problem with the wing tips.
I had problems with the vice grip flutting tool early on in the kit. They are hard to control; need continuous adjustment when flute depths vary; as you approach the desired depth, they suddenly snap shut, giving you an excessive flute or not enough. I purchased a set of flutting pliers similar to what Tony T used. They work great. This is not the first tool I changed to make the kit assembly easier.
I also used Marty Stanics technique of flutting the wing tips. Thanks Marty.
At the area next to the last V cut he used two flutes side by side. Moving aft the next eight areas were single flutted. I started at the aft end of the single flutes. As I proceeded forward I increased the depth of the flutes and was quite agressive on the last three areas.
You will have to flute and fit a few times to get it right.
Good luck with your kit.

Art Pennanen

Back