What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Left wing AOA fitting and rivet clearance problem

Dave J

I'm New Here
Started skinning the left wing and am having problems with the LP4-3 rivet next to the AOA fitting being too long to pull into place without leaving the manufactured head to tall on the outside skin.
Could I cut the tail down to about half before installing and/or notch the AOA fitting nut to gain more clearance?

Thanks, Daveimage.jpg

I must be missing something here. Why can't you remove the fitting, set the rivet, and reinstall the fitting?

Started skinning the left wing and am having problems with the LP4-3 rivet next to the AOA fitting being too long to pull into place without leaving the manufactured head to tall on the outside skin.
Could I cut the tail down to about half before installing and/or notch the AOA fitting nut to gain more clearance?

Thanks, DaveView attachment 65898
Not sure, but I think I unscrewed the AOA fitting, installed the LP4-3, moved the screw behind the rivet and then pushed the AOA fitting from the back with a little pressure towards the screw to tighten it (at least my rivet was pulled as a regular rivet, if you look at my wing).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
I will give that a try. I thought the flare of the fixed nut would be too large in diameter to clear the rivet tail.

Thanks for such quick responses

Another little trick when pulling such restricted-fit pop-rivets is to: place rivet in hole, partially pull the rivet mandrel a wee bit, push rivet in a bit more, partially pull the rivet mandrel a bit more,...repeat as necessary....and then fully set the rivet. There are a couple of places on the RV-12 build where this method works well. Or, do as Mel suggests.

Back