What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Left/right wing ribs

High_Flyer

Well Known Member
Hello everyone.
I'm temporarily assembling the wings for the 1st time.
I've followed the plans for the left wing, no problem.
I've followed the same layout for the right wing, but it seems to me that I'm ending up with the right wing "upside down".
Do I have to follow the same ribs sequence on the left and right wings, or should I intervert the "L" and "R" ribs. In other words, where a "L" rib goes on the left wing, should I also use a "L" rib on the right wing on the same position, or use a "R" rib on right wing in place of the "L" rib on the left wing??
I hope this question makes sense...
I tried the search function but couldn't find an answer to this.
Thanks for the help.

Where you use an 'L' rib in one wing, use the 'R' rib in the other. The ribs are mirror images of each other and the wings should be, too. Van labels the similar parts L and R but sometimes uses a R rib in the left wing so the flange faces a particular direction.

Here's a tip: The rib flanges are arranged so that you can buck the rivets when reaching in through the access panels. Look at your spar for where the panels screw on and place the ribs so the flanges face the access panel.

That should help with the sequencing.

Ok, thank you for the replies.
In the meantime I've re-read the indtructions and the paragraph about identifying the L and R ribs that didn't make real sense to me initialy and all became clearer after a while.
I've re- assembled the right wing and got 2 mirror wings, I should get equal lift on both sides now :)
Thanks again.
Alain.

You have it now!

The left and right ribs have nothing to do with which wing they go on but rather the direction of the flange.

Back