What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Left Elevator & Trim Tab Problems

mackd

Hey folks,

I have a couple of issues with the trim tab and my left elevator and I'd appreciate some insight from people smarter than I.

The other night, I riveted the trim tab spar to the bottom of the trim tab and then clecoed the upper flange of the spar and hinge to the top of the trim tab, per the insructions. Where the trim tab skin had been nice and straight before, I now have a decently sized bulge in the buttom skin, centered between the spar rivets and the trailing edge. When I pull the clecoes out, the spar springs back to a position forward up of the skin, naturally. The problem happens when I pull the spar back into position with the skin holes.

I tried to gently bend the spar back, but that did not make a noticeable improvement. Is this going to be a flight control issue or should I not worry too much?

The other issue I have is that my left elevator skin is not straight where it overlaps the elevator trim spar.

rv7.jpg

rv8.jpg

It seems like the trim spar is almost too wide and is pushing the skins out to form a little hump on each side. When I place the trim tab in the cutout, it's actually narrower than the left elevator in that area.

I'm a bit frustrated, as I think I followed the instructions as best I could, yet things still end up misaligned. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,

David

I think you are good, these rarely come out perfect.

Your bends in the skin look great! Good Job on those!

Back