What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Left elevator root rib to trim spar rivet.

llavalle

Well Known Member
I've got a question.

On the left elevator, on the root rib(E-905) to trim spar (E-907), the plan specifies AN426AD3-3.5 rivets.

AN426AD3-3.5 All Root Rib to trim spar rivets

On which side do I put the flush head?

The root rib it attached to the trim spar with 6 rivets. 4 of them are AN470AD4-4. They are installed on the "gusset". It's the other 2 I'm comfused with.

I'm refering to the 2 holes seen up front here : the ones with horizontal clecos in them :

DSC03573.JPG

I Contacted Van's yesterday but I think they got mixed up and did not give me the correct info.

Anyone here can help?

I am pretty sure...

...it goes to the rear side next to the trim tab. I will look when I am there at lunch to be sure.

Your Choice ?

The Universal Head Rivets are structurally the same in either direction.

The factors are if one layer/skin is quite a bit thinner, if practical put the head on the thin skin, it just stands less chance of deforming the thin skin and keeps things looking nice.:)

In your case I would put the rivet in the easiest way and put the head aft on the part.:cool:

I just checked mine

they are installed with the flush head on the aft side of the spar. I don't find anything that tells you to put them in this way, guess it just made the most sense to me...

The Universal Head Rivets are structurally the same in either direction.

Yes, I know, thanks but I was refering to the AN426 rivets (C/S)

they are installed with the flush head on the aft side of the spar. I don't find anything that tells you to put them in this way, guess it just made the most sense to me...

Alright, I was wondering why those were flush rivets... probably no reasons!

The only thing I can see

[Alright, I was wondering why those were flush rivets... probably no reasons![/quote]

...is that is where the hinge pin wire is fixed into place. Some use an adel clamp and remove one of the flush rivets to retain the wire. Van's just has you drill a hole and safety wire it into place. Each to his own!

On the left elevator, on the root rib(E-905) to trim spar (E-907), the plan specifies AN426AD3-3.5 rivets.
On which side do I put the flush head?
Whichever way you want. I don't think either direction will interfere with with the trim tab, though common sense would suggest that flush side aft would interfere the least.

Back