What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Left Elevator Counter Balance Trimming

niblettda

Well Known Member
I just want to be sure that I'm not about to screw something up here. I'm about to trim the elevator counter balance weights as one of the last steps. Per the plans there are notes about not trimming the left inboard aft edge, but this note is on the right elevator plan.

When you read all the notes *I* think this is what I'm supposed to end up with, I'd just like some confirmation.

Both elevators - Trim top and bottom per detail on Dwg 5 (right elevator) plans.
Right elevator - Trim BOTH aft edges of weights per detail on plans.
Left elevator - Trim ONLY the aft edge of the outboard (tip side) weight, leave the inboard one alone.

This seems to be what the drawings indicate, but when read several times I could see how one could easily be confused.

TIA

No problems ;) I had the same question when building mine... then I figured why both were trimmed on the right elevator and only 1 on the left elevator...

The weight is left heavier on the left to compensate for the weight of the trim tab and accesories (cable / servo + hinge + spar). When I realized that, it was clear :D

That's what I assumed too.

One other question, the weight is proud of the counter balance skin by about 1/16". Do I need to shave that down or should I wait to see if it interferes with the HS?

...One other question, the weight is proud of the counter balance skin by about 1/16". Do I need to shave that down or should I wait to see if it interferes with the HS?

Same here. I haven't done anything yet. At first, I though the C/W was not installed all the way in but it was.

I prefer to wait until the fuse is completed, and the HS installed. Then I'll see what I can do.

Maybe someone who has a completed -9 can help us here?

I ended up buying a new counterweight. I got the first one perfectly balanced, and then went to install the trim servo. Doh!

I've resisted the temptation to trim the new weight, it's still sitting in parts storage. I'll get back to work on it when attaching parts to the fuselage.

I don't know how much paint will affect balance. If it's a lot, I'm thinking it's not possible to trim for no paint, and have it be right after painting. Fortunately, the elevator counterweights are cheap and accessible.

Back