What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED Lighted Switches

aerofurb

Well Known Member
Here's a question for the learned electricians...

I'm building an RV-12 but with a non-standard panel (UK rules allow us to do this) with dual SkyView screens. Having scoured the earth for sensibly priced and sized switches I eventually decided to go with the standard RV-12 switches (Otto K2) bought through Van's.

I sussed how to get the LEDs in the switches to light up when the switch is 'on' for the normal systems but the two operating relays (battery master and avionics master) have got me foxed.

It must be something to do with the relay circuit but either the light works correctly and the relay doesn't or the light works the wrong way round (or is always on) but the relay works.

Any suggestions?

Otto switch info:

http://www.ottoexcellence.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=49

The switch is a DPST, single LED type (p/n K2-ABHPCABA).

I just did that on some different switches. You have to run both pos & neg LED leads out of the switch. Positive to the bus you are activating & neg to ground (or dimmer pot).

Thanks for that aerhed. Problem is I only have 5 contacts - 4 for switching duties (double pole) and one LED earth. Needs a bit of cunning thought.

PS Thought about what you said - in theory the DPST is two switches in one so time for a bit of experimenting to see if the other side of the switch can be used to operate the LED (I think I know what I mean!).

Last edited:
Back