What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED Landing Light vs HID's

sstellarv10

Well Known Member
Has anyone used some the new LED landing lights available. I'm interested in knowing what they think. If anyone has seen both I'd like to know your thoughts on the differences noticed. Thanks

Steve Stella
#40654 Wings
N521RV reserved

The LEDs have come a long way in the last year or so, but in my opinion they aren't as effective as a HID. Since HIDs have dropped in price significantly in the last year, there is no reason not to go that route.

I went with Duckworks in the leading edges. I wanted to make sure I had plenty of light in front of me. Putting lights in the wing tips, just doesn't light of the area in front of the nose for my preference.

bob

leds

Im using aeroled for the strobe and nav set purchased from Vans for the RV 10, and Vans RV 10 wing tip landing lights. Putting them all in the wing tip. I havent done it yet, but they are on the bench ready for me to mount up soon. Dont know exactly how it will light up the sky, but it looks ok to me.

LED/HID

I'm planning HIDs in both leading edges for landing lights, but wondering if anyone has experience with the AeroLED nav lights/strobes and tail light/strobe. Seems like the advantage is longevity and low maintenance, but I need to know if they are more visible than the standard lights.

Last edited:
I am using a set of Corvette headlights, bought right here on VAF, in Duckworks mounts.

I also have the stock Vans wingtip lights, which will be set up as wigwags.

In a little front yard testing of the Corvette lights, they are very bright, way better than the stock Vans setup.

Has anyone used some the new LED landing lights available. I'm interested in knowing what they think.
They just are not quite bright enough yet ... and very expensive. Need about 12 or so of the high intensity LEDs to get a brightness equal to 100w halogen.
Most of the LED lights are using around 8. About the same brightness as 50 watt halogen.
For us for lots of night flight not bright enough.
for day collision avoidance or occasional night probably good enough if you want to spend the $$$.

lights

I put duckworth 50's in both leading edges with wig wag function. work great--towers say it looks like a turbo-prop during the day. problem with wing tip landing lights on -10, the wing itself blocks some of the light. if you want great lights, and full use for night--you need leading edge lights, IMHO. larry

Back