What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED kit positioning light

SvingenB

Well Known Member
I have looked at the kit from Aircraftspruce, but it is very expensive, 1100 dollars. I have also looked at the DIY-thread here, but it seems a bit too DIY regarding the LEDs. Does anyone know of any other kits except that on ACS, or some more complete DIY kits?

Thanks

CreativAir has LED position and strobe lights.

Bill is currently working through a RF noise issue with the strobes with Nova, but should have that resolved shortly. I would ask him about it before you purchase if you have an immediate need.

Thanks, they look great, and half the price of ACS. The LED landing lights looks like a must-have as well. :)

If your building an airplane the DIY led's are easy peasy. Don't be afraid....

Saves $$$.

CreativAir has LED position and strobe lights.

Bill is currently working through a RF noise issue with the strobes with Nova, but should have that resolved shortly. I would ask him about it before you purchase if you have an immediate need.

It looks like you can't use the Creativair pos-strobe-system with wing tip mounted landing lights. Unfortunately, I've already purchased my landing lights from Van's...otherwise, I'd prefer the Creativair system.:(

LED position lights

Hello everyone;

I have decided to install LED position lights on my RV 6A old wing tips.

I have cut the holes and purchased all the plastic parts to form the lens and the back plates. That part is somewhat easy. I do not, however have the brains and the knowhow to wire the lights up.

I have been following all the threads on this subject but I can't find a complete wireing diagram that I could use. Does someone have one I could look at. Any help would be great.:eek:

Thanks
BOB
RV6A final assembly:D

Thanks, they look great, and half the price of ACS. The LED landing lights looks like a must-have as well. :)

I personally would be skeptical with those particular landing lights. There are several companies that recently have come out with less expensive HIDs. At the moment, LEDs can't compete with HIDs.

This is one area in which I chose not to cut corners. I want to to look like a 757 on final so I can see any critters that may have wander onto the runway at night. Yes, you pay a premium for HIDs, but I believe the money is well invested.

I recently purchased Duckworks new lower cost HIDs.

Wings05

Bob,

Here is how I wired my LED Nav Lights. I hope that helps. 375 hours and they work great. I used Luxeon 3 stars for the LEDs.:

LED%20Nav%20Light%20Schematics.jpg

The forward bias voltage of the green led's vs the red's is different. Ohm's law comes into play and with the same current limiting resistor, you get different currents.

Thanks all for good info. Just a question, why is it different mamps on the red and green circuit?

It looks like you can't use the Creativair pos-strobe-system with wing tip mounted landing lights. Unfortunately, I've already purchased my landing lights from Van's...otherwise, I'd prefer the Creativair system.:(

Oh man! I just bought my lights from CreativAir. Care to elaborate further on this? What exactly is the problem?

Thanks

eddier

Oh man! I just bought my lights from CreativAir. Care to elaborate further on this? What exactly is the problem?

Thanks

eddier

If you look on their website, it says this. The position lights must be mounted on the forward facing portion of the wing tips...where the landing lights would usually be mounted. This is to meet the FAA lighting angle requirements. I'm guessing that there isn't room for both the landing lights and position light on this portion of the wing tip. The alternative is to get the leading edge mounted landing lights...but I didn't want to do this. Kind of a bummer because it's a good price for the LED lights.

Back