What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leather for the seats

cholladay

Well Known Member
Has anyone know how many sq ft of material you need to cover the seats in the 10? I am getting ready to buy some leather hides for the seats.

I doubt if there is a good answer to this. So much depends on the size and shape of the hides. If you need two 20" pieces, a 41" wide piece will make them, a 39" wide piece won't. You almost need the patterns to do an actual mock up. I had this problem on my 9, and yours is double that. There will be quite a bit of waste.

Bob Kelly

Just my experience

I believe that I purchased two complete hides and it covered both the front and back seats with just a little left over. I am not sure what the size of the hides were. The back of the seats in the back were a felt material as well as the bottom of both seats. I really like how he did the back seats though. He incorporated the frame into the cover. He basically glued the leather to the back of the aluminum frame and then covered the back with felt with a nice finished edge.
It was much more painful than just using Abby at Flightline Interiors since he was slooooooooowwwwww.

I found some great hides and Tandy leather factory in San Antonio. I picked two colors that were almost identical to my interior colors. The hides are great quality with no flaws in them for only 130.00 a hide. they were so cheap I bought 5 hides. I may wrap my side panels with them. Local upholstery guy quoted 175.00 per seat for two colors. That is with a pocket on the rear of the front seats. I think I am getting a great deal.

The hides are great quality with no flaws in them for only 130.00 a hide.

Local upholstery guy quoted 175.00 per seat for two colors. That is with a pocket on the rear of the front seats. I think I am getting a great deal.

Yep, that is a GREAT deal for sure.

FLAME RESISTANCE

What are you doing about the FAR 23.852 and Appendix F that specifies all the material must pass a fire-retardant test? Your DAR will want to see the test results and a certificate about the covering.

Hank

Because I know Rick's sense of humor.....

Cows burn just fine. We do it every weekend with the appropriate seasonings at my place. It smells pretty good too. :)

Man I have to work on my reputation...I originally was going to say the leather in my seats were rated a MW to W..Medium well to well done:D

Solution to this serious safety issue is not to use them dead cows........and for any New Zealanders reading, turn away about now... :D use dead sheep!

Sheepskin is more comfortable in both hot and cold climates, removable for dry cleaning, and leave the dead cows for making boots out of!:)

cheers folks......and our kiwi friends you can look back now!

What are you doing about the FAR 23.852 and Appendix F that specifies all the material must pass a fire-retardant test? Your DAR will want to see the test results and a certificate about the covering.

Hank

I have a lot of builder friends and none of whom have ever mentioned getting burn certs done on their experimental aircraft. Are you sure it is even required for experimental.
If it is required, it?s not a problem, just cut a corner off the hide and send it off for testing. I am sure it will test no different than any other leather ever tested.

NOT DEAD COWS-VINYL

I known this post started with leather for RV-10 seats and then migrated to dead cows, but I already bought (but not yet paid for-luckily) vinyl seats. They have been tested and meet DOT standards for automobiles, but have not been tested to meet FAA standards. They are well made and I got them from Steve Dinieri of IFLYRV10 web site. I wish now that I bought dead cows hide.

Hank

I known this post started with leather for RV-10 seats and then migrated to dead cows, but I already bought (but not yet paid for-luckily) vinyl seats. They have been tested and meet DOT standards for automobiles, but have not been tested to meet FAA standards. They are well made and I got them from Steve Dinieri of IFLYRV10 web site. I wish now that I bought dead cows hide.

Hank

Hank, unless you plan to use that material on a certified aircraft, I would not worry about it. While it is good practice to observe and try to adhere to FAR part 23 in the construction of your OBAM aircraft, expermentals are not covered under part 23.

Back