What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LEAKY TANK RV-9A

fred holloway

I'm New Here
I HAVE ABOUT 130 HRS ON AND RV9A . IT HAS A 180 LYC WITH A CONSTANT SPEED SCYMATAR (SP) PROP.

ALL OF A SUDDEN MY RIGHT TANK IS LEAKING A STEADY DRIP? IT IS NOT AT THE SUMP AND A LITTLE SEEMS TO BE GETTING INSIDE UNDER MY FEET?

ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THIS. THE TANKS WERE TESTED AND IT DID LEAK ANY EARLIER.

FRED

Fred:
Had the same problem with my 9A. Tanks were pressurized for a week and didn't leak and then started sometime during or shortly after flight test phase. I suspect vibration or joint seating had something to do with it.
First you need to find the source.
If you haven't already done so, pull the wing root fairings and thoroughly clean around the access plate, all plumbing and any seam or surface that shows evidence of fuel staining (this is one of the reasons that avfuel contains dye). Also clean underside of wing, belly, anywhere else where you find staining. After cleaning, fill the tanks. Keep checking/cleaning periodically to determine source. Use an inspection mirror. Once you have determined the source, the solution will likely be proseal. In my case, I had to re-seal the access plates. Pull the quick drains and empty tank(s). Make sure you thououghly clean and scuff surfaces before applying new sealer. Since my repair, I've logged about 170 hours with no hint of leaking. In spite of using a number of different cleaners, I still show some faint staining along a six inch section on the underside of my white wing.
Good luck.
Terry Kohler

Back