What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaky breaks

jtrollin

Well Known Member
Getting ready for my FAA inspection and I noticed my break lines were nearly leaking where the lines attach to the cylinders. My issue is they are leaking at the fitting. If I tighten then then the break lines get in the way of each other. Anyone else have this issue?

IMG_0899.JPG

Not sure I understand what you are describing.
Tightening a fitting should not interfere with anything.
It's kind of hard to see in the picture, the brake line is looped around the leg once and there is plenty of room to tweak it in almost any direction.
Can you be more specific?

Yes. You may need to go another turn with the fitting, or remove it and put some (more) thread lube/sealer on the threads and install it again.

It sounds like you are describing the fittings on the cylinders at the pedals. Am I right?

Several times I had to drain the brake lines to tighten up a fitting. It would be leak free for awhile then a drip would start again. After several attempts without success I finally got some Lochtite sealer to use on the male threads. No more leaks. I can't remember the Lochtite number, maybe 606 or 656 something like that. Do a search and you should find it. Somebody posted that this is what A guy at Matco recommended.

Jim
RV9a

It sounds like you are describing the fittings on the cylinders at the pedals. Am I right?

Jesse,

Yes it is the blue fitting connecting to the pedal brake cylinder. It looks to me like the leak is at the cylinder and I am not sure I can spin those around another full rotation.

John

Jesse,

Yes it is the blue fitting connecting to the pedal brake cylinder. It looks to me like the leak is at the cylinder and I am not sure I can spin those around another full rotation.

John

You may need to back it out and lube/relube it and reinstall it.

I had the same issue. I took all fittings off the master cylinders near the pedals, cleaned them, and applied Loctite 567 to them. Seems to have done the trick but I'm not flying yet.

Use any "gasket maker" sealant and you will never have a problem. Here we get Wynns Gasket Maker in most Auto shops.

If you do not do it when new, you have to take them out, remove the fittings, degrease the threaded holes and the fittings properly and then apply the gasket maker and install.

loctite

John.
We used 545 sealant on the brake fittings. Sealant is designed for high pressure fittings even though brakes are not really that high pressure. I detest pipe fitting but that is what we have so as stated above, to fix right you will need to remove the fittings and clean /remove all oil before refitting. Using any products stated above will work but 545 is cleanest look after it cures.

Back