What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaking Tip Up Canopy During Rain/Washing

Frankster13

I am looking for information and ideas as to how to seal up my RV-14 Tip up canopy. When I latch the canopy and wash the plane or if it is out in the rain it seems my canopy leaks at the forward/front section and I get drips down on the floor mats by the rudder pedals. This would NOT be a good thing in IFR/IMC Flight. Any suggestions? Is anyone else dealing with this issue? Ideally a video or some such showing the materials and technique would be great.

Frank,
Van's tip up canopies have always been a challenge in keeping water out to prevent avionics and interior damage. Try doing a search on the topic as it has been hashed out a few times on the forum.

I have a flight line cover for the avionics bay. I believe they just went out of business. Also I have a canopy cover that extends to the back of the top cowl. Keeps water out.

Not a permanent or elegant fix but you can temporarily apply low-adhesive plastic/vinyl tape over critical prone-to-leakage seams -- useful for stormy cross-country tie-down situations. The competition sailplane folks use such tape for sealing airframe drag gaps. Sorry but this approach is not recommended for in-flight use. ;)

I used to travel (Light !) to Aerobatic comps in my Pitts. A roll of cling film makes a great water seal on canopy joints or panel gaps if you have to stand your aircraft outside.

Electrical tape

Just like Dave Heal says. I have always kept a roll of electrician in my plane and used it dozens of times over the last 18 years on my Super 6 tip up. (Dave Heal is the only pilot I have let solo my Super Six)
Steve

I assume you have applied or reapplied the seal gap that VANS provide with the kit. If not, that is your first step to visit those seals to make sure they are done correctly.
Once those are done, the one area that is very common for the leak in the 14 is the hinge gap covers. There are some after market plastic gap cover that possibly do a better job but they don't look all that great. I have applied a piece of 3M clear bra (2" x 1") over the entire cover and that keeps the water out while it is still possible to remove it if I need to remove the seal gap.

Hope this helps

I have the same problem. Leaks when left outside overnight on x-country trips. Leaks when flying in the rain. The canopy was very well thought out except for water intrusion - that part of the design is horrible. The dirty fix is to apply clear tape over the canopy joint. This also works while flying. The permanent fix is a real chore and still won't be perfect.

Tape

I use tape and have reduced the torrent to the occasional drop. There is thread documenting this here somewhere.

I am looking for information and ideas as to how to seal up my RV-14 Tip up canopy. When I latch the canopy and wash the plane or if it is out in the rain it seems my canopy leaks at the forward/front section and I get drips down on the floor mats by the rudder pedals. This would NOT be a good thing in IFR/IMC Flight. Any suggestions? Is anyone else dealing with this issue? Ideally a video or some such showing the materials and technique would be great.
Have you tried or looked into using one of these hinge covers?

Back