What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaking rivet in fuel tank

I was wondering if any -7 builders have used Locktite 290 to seal a leaking rivet in a fuel tank. We have tried an application 3 times now by applying a negative air pressure in the tank (slight vacuum); the loctite 290 appears to draw in, but fails to seal the leak.
When we apply a small amount of '290 to a piece of aluminum, it does not appear to "set up", even after 3 hours. Can anyone comment on this and if you have been in a similar situation, do you know of alternative methods of sealing the leak?

i am not looking forward to cutting a hole in the aft baffle and re-sealing, although this appears to be a last resort. Thanks in advance. T

leaking rivet

I remember years ago I had a leaking rivet on my tank bottom. I drilled out the rivet and just lightly counter sunk the hole. I then installed the special countersunk blind tank rivet (either an AD 41d or 42d) with plenty of tank sealant. Problem totally solved. After repair the only problem is cosmetics, depending how particular you are. The head will set a little proud.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

I have seen some locktite products that only dry with the absence of oxygen (air). Maybe this is why your test peice didnt set up. just a thought.

How did you keep the trash out?

I remember years ago I had a leaking rivet on my tank bottom. I drilled out the rivet and just lightly counter sunk the hole. I then installed the special countersunk blind tank rivet (either an AD 41d or 42d) with plenty of tank sealant. Problem totally solved. After repair the only problem is cosmetics, depending how particular you are. The head will set a little proud.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

Can you share your technique for keeping trash, the shop head, and drill chips out of the tank as you did this? I'd like to try this on my plane!

You can repair the leak with Pro-seal. Use the vacuum to pull some MEK through the leak path to clean, then thin some mixed sealant with Toluene and draw it through. Fixed integral tank leaks at a major air frame manufacturer like this for years.

Pinhole leaks

at about 300 hours I had a couple of pinhole leaks around some rivets on the top of my wing. I simply mixed a small amount of Proseal, mooshed them into the pinholes with my finger then cleaned up residue with lacquer thinner. I flew the next day and "no leaks".
Woodman

Green locktite

Locktite 290 sealed 4 rivets on my quick build tanks. One I was not able to fix after numerous attemps. I used thinned Proseal which did the trick

Back