What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaking fuel sender

Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
I had to do some tank leak repair on the access cover over the past couple of days. When I went to pressure test it I noticed another leaked in the isolated part of the fuel sending unit. No fuel stain was present but my soapy water test showed some bubbles. Replace the unit or build on?

Do you have the thick rubber gasket (1/8 thick)? I had my left one start leaking and there is a new part number and gasket that is half as thick. Worked great for me!

Many choose to throw the gasket away...

and Proseal directly to the cover. The gaskets have proved to be problematic in the past. The sender is supplied with a gasket but that does not mean you have to use them. If you are showing signs of a leak now, take care of it. It will probably only get worse over time.

Its not leaking from the gasket its leaking between the fiber insulator and the brass wire terminal. I'm guessing the unit is just bad and can't be resealed.

Leaking

Sid, Mine started leaking at the same place. Replace it while you can, it will show up later as blue stains.....

leaking fuel gage

My insulator was leaking also and the sender was 25 years old so I replaced it with a Vans (Stewart Warner sender) They area only $26.00 or so.

Back