What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leak check pitot/static plumbing, G3X?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I'm rapidly running out of stuff to do behind the panel, and the time to shoot on the fwd upper fuselage skin is pretty much here.

Before I do, it sure would be nice to leak check all that fancy pitot static plumbing, but I'm a bit wary because I don't want to wring anything in the G3X.

I've read the G3X manual and think I understand that the static can be run up with the pitot/aoa left open as long as I don't overdo the pressure delta and exceed the airspeed limit of the GSU25, but for the pressure side the pitot & aoa should be pressurized at the same time.

my current config and plan is this;

Static system is completely plumbed from the GSU25 to the ports, while pitot and AOA are plumbed from the GSU25 through the fuselage with the other ends of the hoses just open until the wings are installed.

My plan is to tape over a static port and pull a vacuum on the other one via a syringe/suction cup arrangement. I'm aware of the 1,000' above field elevation 100' per minute acceptable leak rate.

Once that's done, I plan to remove that apparatus, then take a couple of feet of surgical tubing, slip one end over the open pitot line where it will eventually connect to the pitot tube and the other end over the AOA line. I'll make it air tight with some safety wire.

I'll pinch the rubber hose in the middle and then just roll both halves up simultaneously to slightly pressurize both pitot and aoa approximately equally. and once I get to about 100 kts airspeed, I'll see if it holds for a minute with no more than say a 10% leak down rate.

basically just looking for a sanity check here does anybody see a problem with what I'm proposing?

so, out of all the G3X installations out there, surely somebody has an opinion on this.

Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?

There was a post somewhere on VAF where rvbuilder2002 outlined the process for using the syringe but search still doesn't work as it should. :(

When the time comes to test mine I'm going to rig up a manometer with a length of clear tubing and water. This will help to avoid excess pressure damage to the instruments and will also test the instrument calibration. There are tables around that equate column height to altitude and airspeed. To me this seems worthwhile if already going to the trouble of doing the basic test.

Back