What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

leading edges extra tanks

Guilhermepilot

Well Known Member
Hello
Planning to install extra tanks and woundoring
If a vans fuel float will support this diferent config
Can be recalibrated?

Thank you captains

Hello
Planning to install extra tanks and woundoring
If a vans fuel float will support this diferent config
Can be recalibrated?

Thank you captains
Are you considering one long fuel tank or 2 fuel tanks in each wing? Sounds like one long tank which I would NOT recommend for a number of reasons which I wont go into here.

If its 2 tanks per wing, then it wont matter. You can either wire up 2 floats to each tank and switch readings in the cockpit, or only show fuel of the inboard tank.
There is some information on that here.
http://mstewart.net/super8/ertanks/Index.htm

Not exactly...

The floats max out at about 15 gallons in the standard tanks. Once the float is at the top of it's range, any additional fuel is 'not reported'. So while flying, the fuel gauges stay pegged 'full' until the fuel starts to go below 15 gallons, and then will count down to empty.

Will the tanks be plumbed so that they automatically drain into the current tanks making essentially one big tank per wing? Or will they be separate, requiring a transfer pump to move the fuel from the added tanks to the current tanks?

If you make one big tank per side, the current floats will simply have more 'not reported' fuel.
If you make separate tanks, each one requires a fuel level sender (at least in the U.S.) So you could put a float to each one, and decide how you want to report their level - a separate gauge in the cockpit, or a switch to select between the standard and aux tank (on each side).

The floats themselves will work just fine. I don't know if the Vans-supplied analog gauges will indicate accurately if your outboard tanks are not the same size as your inboard ones (i.e., it may read high if your tanks are smaller), but an electronic system (EFIS or engine monitor) should be able to be calibrated for different-sized tanks and should read fine.

I'm building tanks similar to the ones Pat Tuckey did (just a little smaller), and am putting float senders in all four. Almost ready to rivet the 4th one; just the vent line, sender, and stiffeners left to fit before I can deburr and dimple.

Those aux will be interconnected to mains
No aux pump but yet it is no integral other wise
The fuel would travell a lot

Would be far have it indicating full and then whem mains start to deplete it start indicate s

Thank you for replays

The floats themselves will work just fine. I don't know if the Vans-supplied analog gauges will indicate accurately if your outboard tanks are not the same size as your inboard ones (i.e., it may read high if your tanks are smaller), but an electronic system (EFIS or engine monitor) should be able to be calibrated for different-sized tanks and should read fine.

I'm building tanks similar to the ones Pat Tuckey did (just a little smaller), and am putting float senders in all four. Almost ready to rivet the 4th one; just the vent line, sender, and stiffeners left to fit before I can deburr and dimple.

Back