What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lead times

wirejock

Well Known Member
Totally my fault but avoidable. So I'm going to Rant a little and maybe other builders will benefit.

I called Vans quite some time ago and was told six weeks lead time on a new prop. Cool. I'll wait. I don't want an expensive prop sitting in a box any longer than necessary. Hate to burn a warranty.

I called Vans today. 4 months lead time. 140 Vans customers ahead of me. I'm going to be sitting in the hangar making airplane noises. To make matters that much more frustrating, it was totally avoidable. Like I said. Totally my fault.
Hartzel has a 2 year grace period to install. I could have ordered it last year. Like I said, my fault. So here's a few tips.

-Check the lead times on everything.
-Check warranty
-Check grace period to install

Order early. Production delays are a real show stopper.

May I suggest you look at the MT9 propeller. I was faced with long lead times last year after my prop strike at AirVenture 2022 and stumbled across McFarland Aviation who sells MT propellers.

Talked to several knowledgeable folks and they all said the MT9 was a great prop. McFarland had an Oshkosh sale at the time so I was able to get a really good price. The MT9, being a three blade composite, is around 15 lbs lighter than my previous Hartzell and definitely improved climb performance without any noticeable loss of top speed at altitude. It also does not have any rpm restrictions when using electronic ignition systems and doesn’t require greasing at the annual condition inspection. It’s definitely quieter. I love it! BTW, they’re immediately available.

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/articles/mt-propeller-experimental/

Thank you Larry for my own personal validation of having a prop in hand as opposed to in the bush!

Back