What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LC-50 Dimmer on Avionics & AFS units

kbehrent

Well Known Member
I'm installing 430W, SL-40, 330, ADI, PSE-9000EX DigiFlight IIVSGV in my panel and I would like to be able to dim them from one dimmer control. I see on Van's website that they have the LC-50 that supposedly supports this. Anyone try this? I don't care for the price tag ($175), but it does offer a 4 channel dimmer capability and if it really works with the avionics gear, it may be worth it.

Also, I will have dual AFS 4500's and would also like to dim them from a single control as well. Does anyone know if that can be done via the LC-50?

BTW, I will also be using the blue LED glareshield lighting strip offered by Stein, along with other eyeball type lights which I would like to dim separately from each other and the avionics.

Thanks,
Kevin

As far as the avionics go, I think everything but the ADI will dim itself, I may be wrong but I think the AP only has a contrast setting and does not dim.

I have a 430W & 327 in my Mooney and it will go into night mode which helps, but sometimes it's still too bright. What I'm trying to avoid is having to adjust each individual device manually.

Ideally, I would like:
Dimmer #1 - All avionics (430W, sL40, 330, ADI, DigiIIVSGV, 9000EX
Dimmer #2 - Dual AFS 4500 units
Dimmer #3 - Glare shield LED strip (Blue), (2) blue eyeballs
Dimmer #4 - (2) eyeballs (white) for cockpit/map lighting

Brian,
Regarding the AP, you may be right. Vans site show that the LC-50 only dims the ADI and Pictorial Pilot. Don't know whether or not the info is current or not.

Last edited:
Don't think the DigiIIVSGV or the AFS units even support external dimming.

The 430W and 327 must be configured to use the built in Photocell for automatic dimming. The night mode of the display is a different function from the auto dimming.

The Mooney's gear may not be set to use the photocell.

As far as the info on Van's site goes, what they are wanting you to know is that the LC-50 has two "analog" channels that are not PWM outputs. Most avionics makers designed their dimming inputs for old analog dimming controllers and not PWM signals. If you connect a PWM dimmer to them, they may or may not work. Most LED's and plain old incandescent bulbs work great with PWM dimmers.

Last edited:
Brian,

I thought the photocell was used for determining when to switch day/night settings. I didn't know that it was capable of auto dimming/brightening based on what the photocell sees. The shop that did my Garmin stack install didn't do a good job so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't wire it correctly to utilize the dimming circuit to its fullest.

Thanks for the info.

Ok..here's the deal.

The Garmin 430 can be dimmed internally or externally (and it's not just a simple bright/dim). The dimming curves/brightness/settings can easily and quickly be changed whether it's using the internal dimming or external dimming. If the night dimming level/speed or mixture between screeen and key brightness is not how you desire, it's easy to change it to whatever you want. I would encourage everyone to do that instead of using an external dimmer. It's not a simple day/night mode, but a complete dimming curve / speed setting. Any shop that works with Garmin stuff should know this, as it's quite easy. If you would like to adjust your light settings on the 430W, give me a shout and we can walk you through it in about 2 minutes. You can change how fast it dims, as well as the brightness/curve of the dimming.

Same thing with the Transponder...you can change those settings quite easily as well. Whereas the 430 has dimming curves and speed, the 327 only has day/night mode.

The Garmin AT stuff (SLxx) have a photocell for dimming curves..also easily adjustable to what you desire as far as bright/dim. Again not a simple bright/dim, but a curve.

The Audio panels have a photocell for dimming of the switch lights, but not key lighting. That needs to be dimmed externally.

AFS EFISes (and GRT & Dynon) are all dimmed internally. AFS & GRT you simply rotate the EFIS know to turn them up or down. Dynon you go through a simple menu to select dim/brighter. No need for external dimmer on any of them.

The TruTrak Autopilots also have a photocell/internal for internal dimming.

In the end, I try to encourage people to use the internal dimmers of the avioncis. One less thing to wire up, less hassle, less points of failure. You might have to tweak them to get them where you like them, but once done it's quite nice.

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

LED Strips?

Ok..here's the deal.
<snip>
My 2 cents as usual.

And easily worth much more :)

Stein I am planning an LED tape/strand (probably yours) across my canopy frame for my only non-portable cabin lighting. I bought the single channel Van's dimmer (marked Panel below) for that alone and plan to feed it from the Nav light circuit. Here's my panel (I solo right seat):

I do not intend a significant amount of night ops. Any thoughts on my strategery?

George

I agree with Stein that if you can make the auto dimmers work for you, then go that route. I have discovered a couple of things that have made me use the external dimmers. First, it seems that every airplane is just a little bit different, and sometimes there are reflections or reactions to movement, flashlights, etc, that cause the autodimmers to react (as they should), but it gets annoying sometimes. The other thing I have noticed is that every night flight seems to be different than what gets set up inside the dark hangar. Sometimes there's a moon, sometimes the city lights are bright, sometimes it's really dark (like in the clouds at night), etc. Sometimes it matters how the night comes on---flying west into the sunset vs flying east at sunset makes a huge difference in how your eyes react to the onset of darkness. Hey, it could be age, but I won't admit that. :) Anyway, I find that I like the ability to control each of them independently, so I used 4 of the single channel controllers from Van's. I've used them multiple times now, and they seem really reliable. I have one for the switches, one for the radios, one for blue led strip lights from Stein, and one for the compass and Gi-206 indicator.

And for those of you who don't think single engine at night should be attempted, here's another trick: put a light underneath the cowling and wire it to the nav lights. The engine will always think it's daytime! :)

Vic

Stein,
Thanks for the detail on the various avionics. On the audio panel, do you think that the keys may need to be externally dimmed. Haven't seen one at night, not sure if it would be an issue.

Back