What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lazarus update (sloshed tank)

Epsound

Well Known Member
Hello all,

You may remember the RV 9A that was on the chopping block a short time ago with the grinded spar. Well, after a long debate it was decided that the kit was salvageable. See this link if your intereseted: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=78948
Fittingly, the kit has been named 'Lazarus'.

Anyway, here's an update. I took apart the tanks. Yep! I broke them down to their individual pieces. It really didn't take that much. It took about 4 hours per tank using a drill, heat gun, and a lot of patience. But, I won't bother you with the details. I am posting this for those who might have wondered before, what the inside of a sloshed tank looks like.

MEK Alternative has been effective in removing the slosh but the bits of Proseal have held strong. I have ordered some EFS 2500 solvent to do this. Fortunately, only one tank was sloshed. I found it interesting to see just what this stuff did once it was inside and it could only be speculated as to where it all goes. The slosh caked up in the worst places especially on the rear baffle and the fuel level indicators. I pulled a lot of it off (so you could identify the item) the fuel indicator before I took pics. The indicator was rendered inop by the slosh. It is like trying to tear rubber tread off a radial tire with pliers.

Enjoy.

snflfk.jpg

aljgp0.jpg

9zulp3.jpg

2cx8co2.jpg

Last edited:
Takes some patience and hard work

Not many of us would have tackled that challenging build. It probably would have been recycled and wrapping some baking potatoes or containing a cold drink about now. Keep pounding(I mean drilling) those rivets. It will be worth it someday.

speechless

Wow.....the "workmanship" :rolleyes: on this kit is beyond description.......I hope it isn't representative of other projects out there that are flying beneath the RV community radar......

You are a strong man. :)

Yep!

Not many of us would have tackled that challenging build. It probably would have been recycled and wrapping some baking potatoes or containing a cold drink about now. Keep pounding(I mean drilling) those rivets. It will be worth it someday.

It's less work than I anticipated. So far, my facination for this particular kit and the legitimate savings to date keeps me going.

Last edited:
Me too

Wow.....the "workmanship" :rolleyes: on this kit is beyond description.......I hope it isn't representative of other projects out there that are flying beneath the RV community radar......

You are a strong man. :)

I'm with you Sam. I hope so to but, the reality is, there are probably more of these out there than we would like to imagine. I've seen a few already in my short time around GA.

One thing is for sure - Epsound will be twice the builder most of us are by the time he finishes this kit.

That's interesting, I thought the usual slosh that was provided by Vans and Spruce was white....:confused:

I too ....

... am totally impressed by the work you're doing here. In terms of patience and looking for a challenge, "you're a better man than I ..." :)

Hmm....

That's interesting, I thought the usual slosh that was provided by Vans and Spruce was white....:confused:

Can't speak with any certainty to your observation Gil. I don't have much experience with slosh. Actually, I have zip! Maybe, it is something else entirely. Your not the first to notice the color is apparantly unusual.

Last edited:
Thanks Rupester

... am totally impressed by the work you're doing here. In terms of patience and looking for a challenge, "you're a better man than I ..." :)

This whole journey impresses me. I feel like I am learning a great deal. So far it's been interesting and fun....really.

I'm intrigued with your unique, deconstruction, evaluate, and build program. It isn't for me but I do find it interesting and I hope you keep up posted (with pictures) as the process continues.

Two kinds of slosh.

There are two kinds of "slosh" compound. The white is what Van's used to recommend. And that's what we had problems with. The red is typically better and is more similar to pro-seal. It stays somewhat "pliable" after it dries.
I would say in this case, the quality of application is probably more likely to be of concern. #1, you don't "slosh" tanks with the fuel sender in place. #2, the way Van's recommended doing the slosh was to paint the seams with slosh before installing the rear baffle. After the baffle is installed, pour in the slosh with the tank held vertical and only "slosh" the rear baffle. Not the entire tank.
This is not meant to be a "how to" procedure, but just to clear up some misunderstandings of how it used to be.

It is PR-1005-L Buna-N

Sealing compound. Acrylonitrile/Butadiene Polymer. Purchase from ACS. It is to be brushed onto and overlap prosealed joints. It adheres great to unscuffed surfaces and even better when scuffed. It can also be poured in to seal baffle prosealed joints, but is a waste to coat entire inside surface of tank as shown in picture. I used one pint or .89 lbs to do both of my tanks. No leaks and no peeling so far.

Back