What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Latch pins (alloy?)

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I'm findind both front latch pins to be a little short in the standard Van's configuration. The tapered end goes all the way thru the alum door post but not far enough for the full tubing part. It only makes it thru the composite part of the door post. I'm thinking of making two new ones about 1/4" longer. With the latch in the open position the pins are still about 1/4" from protruding out of the door, leaving roam to lengthen about 1/4".
Anyone know which type of alum alloy these pins are made of ?
Thanks Ron

I'm findind both front latch pins to be a little short in the standard Van's configuration. The tapered end goes all the way thru the alum door post but not far enough for the full tubing part. It only makes it thru the composite part of the door post. I'm thinking of making two new ones about 1/4" longer. With the latch in the open position the pins are still about 1/4" from protruding out of the door, leaving roam to lengthen about 1/4".
Anyone know which type of alum alloy these pins are made of ?
Thanks Ron

First make sure your latch rack & pinion system is adjusted so that the rack for each pin is extending all the way to the end when the handle is in the closed position

Thanks for the reminder. I've been following all the door issues and the stop rivets on the racks are all hitting the C-1006C's in the closed position.
Ron

I ended up having one tube/rod/pin not engaging totally, even thought the stop rivet was hitting the mechanism.

I ended up drilling a hole into the end of the rack, (along the length axis) and threading it for 6-32. Used a short screw, with a washer, and locktite.

Removed the stop rivet.

The travel of the rack was now stopped by the washer, at the end of the rack, gave me another 1/4"+ of engagement travel.

added...........|^^^^^^^^^^^
screw----> (|| O
here.............|_________________

Thanks Mike, I think only the left front needs attention. This forum is great. Never wouls have thought of that. Much simpler and don't have to order any more tubing. Can't think of anything wrong with your plan.
Thanks Again
Ron

Back