What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Last two rudder brace rivets

nippaero

Well Known Member
This has probably been covered before. Any ideas on how to get these last two rivets in? :confused: I cannot fit my bucking bar in there and I don't have a longeron c-yoke yet. I know a lot of you guys hit these with the c-yoke.

rDSC03781.jpg

I think this is one place to tell whether the airplane was built by a real craftsman, or a hack like me.....I think I used pop rivets and never looked back!

Paul

Pop rivets...

After several bad attempts at bucking with various "bars" I ended up using pop rivets like Paul. Used them in a couple other places too (the last rivets in the ailerons, etc) where my handiwork was more damaging than the pop rivet alternative. My plane will still fly in the end...I'm not sure I care whether others thumb their noses at the pop rivets.

you don't really need a different yoke...

I used the yoke that came with my avery squeezer, you just need some washers and duct tape. Set it up like this:
2821__rudder_rivet.jpg

stack some washers under the rivet set and then tape it in place. This gave me just enough clearance around the circular hole to squeeze them.

That's a clever idea. Eric stopped by last night with his longeron yoke and we were able to set them with no problems. Thanks for the ideas.

Back