What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Laser cut parts, IO-540 baffle kit

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
Van’s Laser Cut part webpage does not mention this baffle kit. I sent a note to Van’s asking about the baffle kit I received.

While I think my RV-10 kits arrived before the laser cut issue, I ordered this baffle kit as an experiment to modify it to take the James IO-540 plenum. I found the following parts that do not have the blue plastic, and the holes look like Van’s photos for being laser cut:
CB-710A (12/08/2022)
CB-1001A (07/11/2022)
CB-1002A (07/13/2022)
CB-1000B (04/15/2022)
CB-1005A (07/13/2022)
CB-1005B (07/13/2022)
CB-1006A (07/15/2022)
CB-1007A (07/14/2022)
CB-1008A (07/08/2022)
CB-1011A (07/08/2022)

I’ll update this post when I hear back from Van’s.

Carl

Thanks Carl,
I received my FWF kit Aug 22’ and thought I was in the clear. I’m currently on a layover away from the shop but will look at my baffles (and the rest of the kit) when I get home. I’ll post my findings as well just to hopefully help others who thought they were in the clear.

Regards,
Zach

Edit:
Greg just posted this on the LCP thread on the main page.
The baffle parts have essentially always been laser-cut. Those parts fall into the "historically laser-cut parts" category and continue to be made that way. They will not appear as named parts on the laser-cut parts list.

Last edited:
Yep - saw it. I translate that to these kits are not on Van’s list of parts to replace so I’m left with just using them or making my own (like I did on the first RV-10).

Considering the baffle function I’m not overly concerned, but baffles tend to be the first to crack. If there are steps I can do during assembly to mitigate such cracks I’m all ears.

Note - I never mount the oil cooler on the baffle.

Carl

Here's a post from Van's earlier today

It answers your question about LC baffles.

So from this Greg Hughes says that the baffle kits have always been laser cut…

Yep - saw it. I translate that to these kits are not on Van’s list of parts to replace so I’m left with just using them or making my own (like I did on the first RV-10).

Considering the baffle function I’m not overly concerned, but baffles tend to be the first to crack. If there are steps I can do during assembly to mitigate such cracks I’m all ears.

Note - I never mount the oil cooler on the baffle.

Carl

I’ve built at least three sets of these baffles over the years, and have never had cracking - so I wouldn’t get too worried about it, and just go ahead and build them! Rational analysis at work….

Back