What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Larger instrument panel?

Tbone

Well Known Member
Is it worth it to install a larger instrument panel (about 2" added to bottom)?
I have fabricated one out of 6061T4 and was doing a dry fit and the thing looks monsterous! It's like it doesn't fit the plane. The reason that I was considering it is because I was wanting to install the Dynon 180 and put backup guages below that. Was considering the 3 inch because of cost but would like to use the 2 inch because it wouldn't overpower the look of the panel. Things do need to look like it belongs, doesn't it? Also switch placement would be easier with a deeper panel.

I would make a dummy out of cardboard, put it into the plane, and fly it----so to speak.

What you are describing is almost exactly what I did in my 10, 3 1/4 round gauges under the dual GRTs and a flat pack TruTrack above.

The prior builder on my plane had modified the panel to be an 1 1/2 --2" taller, cut the lower angle down to only about 3/4" tall, and the panel covers the entire lower bar. Nothing but nutplates in the lower bar, all switches and breakers in the actual panel. I ended up using the same setup, but made a new panel.

Post 2 in this thread.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=18921

For the -6 series, the oversize panel is 2.2" longer. Installed in my plane, I have zero problem with knee clearance or any other undesirable issues.

Deeper Panel on RV-7A

I added 2 inches to my -7A panel so I could put 2 GRT screens on top of each other plus put a row of switches under them. I don't have any problem getting under the panel when I get in and out, but I did find out that having the engine controls under the lowered panel is a big problem for my knee. If I could do it again, I'd put the engine controls through the bottom of the panel to take care of that problem or at least raise the bracket the controls are mounted on (I'll still eventually do this or something similar).
I've flown it a year and 200+ hours like this. I usually have my knee tilted off to the side to clear the throttle. It works okay for now.
Just to be clear - the panel lengthening is NO problem - just consider a modified mount for the engine controls.

Sebastian Trost
RV-7A flying
Cameron Park, CA (O61)

Look at Modular Panles XL

I used the modular panel XL so I could fit the 496 below the D100, worked out fine and I am 6' 3" tall and do not seem to have a fit problem. But I am not flying yet either.

Pictures on blog (link below)

I added 2 inches to my -7A panel so I could put 2 GRT screens on top of each other plus put a row of switches under them. I don't have any problem getting under the panel when I get in and out, but I did find out that having the engine controls under the lowered panel is a big problem for my knee.
RV-7A flying
Cameron Park, CA (O61)

How did you install your vents? In the same general area? I fabricated my panel to be notched around the longeron but had to keep trimming it so I could wiggle it in position. I may have to trim the left & rt lower ends to have better access but then it leaves a gap (1/2" or better) and was not happy with the look.

Back